Very Skinny (bones visible) Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a hard situation and I'm sorry you have to go through it. Dewormer is fairly inexpensive and can be bought at farm supply stores. Panacur (fenbendazole) is good for many worms.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nem_gen/Nematodes.htm
Here is some dosing information:
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics/safe_antiworms.htm

For the leg, it will need to be addressed when possible. I doubt the bunny will show well with a leg issue. If the funds aren't there, maybe a rescue group or the Humane Society can take him and give him the vet care he needs. He could do cage rest for a week and see if that improves it. It could be a skeletal deformity or a bone that broke and healed in the wrong orientation, though, and you can't do anything for those things other than change his housing to be better for a bunny with reduced mobility. I hope he has a solid floor to sit on? That would be helpful.

when you "worm" rabbits you need to be aware that worms have a 10 day cycle. Kill the adults/growers. then reworm 10 days later to kill anything that has emerged from eggs BEFORE they can lay new ones. So if he was only wormed once and was suffering from a worm overload it just gave him a break overall.

NOW... depending on the age of the rabbit they can develop issues as they mature. You might want to check his teeth, make sure his output looks normal.

Do you live near a Tractor Supply or another farm supply store? I would run there, if you can, and get some dewormer. I use Ivermectin, but some people use Panacur or Safeguard. The 1.87% Ivermectin paste is marketed for horses and comes in a tube for about $4.

My rabbits don't willingly take it, so you have to squish a small, pea-size amount into their mouth (or put on their lips and wait until they lick it up.) Dose him again in 7-10 days. Then wait another 7-10 days and dose again.

If the deworming helped before, the problem is likely parasites. But as mentioned, you have to treat more than once to get them in each stage of their lifecycle.

Hopefully that will help, and it's a cheaper solution than running to the vet, if that's not an option right now.

I hope you can get this rabbit the help it needs. I know exactly how it is when a rabbit is sick and you don't have the funds to help it get better. My rabbit, Sweetie, got sick right after her bondmate, Prince, passed. I didn't have any funds to take her in to get help from the vet. She had ear mites, she was grinding her teeth. I went to Rabbit Haven and found out that her grinding her teeth was her feeling emotional pain because of losing her bondmate, but they could not help me with her having earmites, because they said that she didn't have them just because they couldn't see them. I knew full well that Sweetie had earmites, so I treated her with mineral oil for three weeks, the life cycle of the ear mite.

Don't worry about people that say that people who cannot afford vet care for their animals shouldn't have them. I have had a person tell me the same thing when I posted about Sweetie having ear mites and grinding her teeth, and I was even called a bad bun parent. I know that I am not a bad bun parent because my rabbits are in to the vet every time they get sick. The reason why Sweetie didn't go to the vet is because I used up the care credit money that I had on Prince, I paid for Prince to be cremated and have his ashes with me. So please don't take any negativity personally.

You are a good bun parent and you are doing all that you can for this rabbit. I would say do the dewormer, since it did work last time. Is there something like a Rabbit Haven/Sanctuary around there that could help you get this rabbit healthy enough to be adopted out? They may even be able to take him and he could live there. Here in Bremerton, WA, there is a sanctuary in Sequim, WA and there is Rabbit Haven. Talk to Pipp/Sas about it, maybe there is something she can do.​

My chinchilla had giardia a few years back. On my vets approval, I gave her Safe Guard (panacur). It cured her, she got sick again. Treated her again, she got well again, then sick again. Finally, someone on a message board told me to follow up 3 weeks later with another treatment, becuase that's when the eggs from the last worms hatch and re-infest. So I treated her for 5 days then 3 weeks later, treated her for 5 more, and she was fine from then on.

Since the initial worming helped the one time, I bet that's what happened. I hope you can get him better!

He passed away the day I was going to take him to the vet. Friday. That was when I got paid but my boyfriend told me it had died.

Right now we are working on trying to find the others homes.

So sorry to hear that the rabbit passed. Hope you can find homes for the others. Just as a precaution though, before finding homes for the others, you might want to deworm them as well, as rabbits can pass along worms to each other.

Back