Very shy bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waite.sarah89

Reaction score
Background: We've had B since last July (got her as an 8 week old bunny). And she has made huge amounts of progress since being spayed about a month ago. I've been bitten and scratched by her previously just feeding her or maintaining her cage. Since her spay, I have not seen any of these behaviors and she is now perfectly litter trained, which is great.

My only complaint (and a miniscule one at that) is that when she is out of her cage (which is all day & locked in at night) she seems to want to hide under one of our rocking recliners. I'd really prefer she didn't, because I'm afraid if she is in just the right spot, someone might rock back on her. Also, it makes it really hard to bond with a rabbit that hides the day & evening away.

She has access to a hidey hut in her cage, so I've started blocking off this chair with a baby gate. I am wondering if I will regress some of our progress by taking away her main hiding spot? Also, any tips on encouraging her to trust me? I know to sit on the floor with her (which I attempt now & it will be much easier now that she can't get under that chair) but past that I'm lost.

Thanks!

You could try just putting a card board box with a door way cut out in the room to replace the chair. I would definitely block her from that for her own safety.

She is old enough for veggies/fruit. You can sit on the floor and give her a treat when she comes near. If there is a veggie she really likes you could use that, some very small pieces of fruit or even pellets if you are now limiting them.

Does she spend the whole time out under the chair? My bun is out all day as well. Most of the day he spends laying around including in his boxes. He mostly plays in the morning and later evening. Buns are most active in the morning and evening so some of it could just be that she is doing her day time relaxing.

She would generally spend the whole day under the chair & come out in the evening to eat. I've got it blocked off now. I think I had read that they are active in the morning & evening and rest during the day. I'll try giving her a box though, I would like her to have another spot to relax in, just not one that she is going to get squished in.

I'll try giving her the fruits & veggies while I sit with her as well. Hopefully this bun will decide to trust me, been working on it with her for the better part of a year. But now that she is spayed, she has no more excuses! Haha!

Thanks!

I agree with blocking it off. It doesn't seem like a safe place to rest. She is most likely just sleeping under there during the day, as that is the time when most rabbits rest. They are more active in the morning and evening. If she isn't interacting with you much during those times, you can certainly try treats, or being with her in a more confined area, like in an xpen or bathroom. This makes it so that she will have to interact with you more and can't just go and hide somewhere. If she's nervous about you touching or petting her, then don't try to when you are in the smaller area with her. Just basically ignore her and let her come up to you and check you out when she wants. When she is feeling more comfortable with you, you can start offering her your hand to smell, and eventually start petting her. You can also use this time to offer her treats. You just have to be careful with treats, as too much sugar can cause digestive problems with rabbits. So you always start with one new food at a time, and start with small amounts, and keep an eye on her poop for a few days to make sure there are no changes with it. Then you can gradually increase the amount. With sugary treats like fruit and carrots, you will also need to limit the amount based on your rabbits weight. Here are some fruit and veggie lists, with amounts and how to introduce them to your rabbit. Also though it says differently on one list, some cruciferous veggies can cause gas and digestive upset with some rabbits. If you notice your rabbit seeming to feel uncomfortable after starting one of these new veggies, you will want to stop giving it, and make sure that she is still eating normally.

http://www.3bunnies.org/feeding.htm#top
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Latest posts

Back