Very Rude Rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyla

Reaction score
So Quigley has started two very bad habits and Im not sure if theyre linked. First, when hes out hes stopped.using his litterbox. Hes very sneaky about it and took me a bit to catch on to what he was doing even though I was watching him the whole time. The other is that he knows when its bed time and he gets very nasty when I try to pick him up. He lunges and growls and thumps. I understand what this behavior is and when its not bed time he is very affectionate and doesnt mind being handled. Question is, how do i stop this bad behavior. Can I do something different to deescalate the issue before he gets to this point?

Is he between 3-5 months old and not neutered? Sounds like the beginnings of hormonal behaviour.

Try associating bedtime with treat time. Give him a small piece of banana and pick him up while he's busy eating it. When you put him back in his cage, give him another small piece as a reward. If he struggles, hold him longer, so he knows that the only way he's going to get his treat is to be good and let you just pick him up and put him back painlessly. Show him you're in charge.

Thank you for the input! So it took a bit of convincing on my husbands part to get him on board. Neutering a rabbit was a bit out of his range I guess. Once I explained 8 to possibly 20 year commitment, same as a dog, and the fact that we got our wonderful German Shepherd for next to nothing when he was adopted and the hundreds we dropped on his medical bills when he got sick - that pretty much put it into perspective :) And the fact that he loves the bunny too only helped lol He's a fairly froogle sort of person but I won! I agreed to wait untl after we were settled into our new place which were moving to in just 2 days. It makes sense. Poor guy is going to need time to readjust to the new home which shouldnt take long, but adding the stress of a surgery so soon may be a bit much. He's been doing excellent though. Ive been working on our training and treats and it has really helped a lot so I think we have a bit more time before we take his boy bits away.

Latest posts

Back