veggie introduction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyornot

Reaction score
hello friends!

I've begun introducing penny to veggies. from what we've tried I may have a picky eater on my hands lol. but I was wondering while I introduce a new one to her should I keep feeding her the old ones too or just give one veggie at a time. For example she ate romaine lettuce for a week with no problems now we've moved on to cilantro today and she likes it! so should I just give her cilantro or can I give her cilantro with romaine lettuce?

So far she has liked carrots, cilantro, wheat grass, and romaine lettuce. she does not want to eat green/red/yellow peppers or brocolli lol but I will try them again later. I know carrots are not to be fed all the time but she loves them the most.

Also I haven't been giving her very much at all to start out with just a taste because I don't think she is even a pound quite yet she is a small bun. I've read for every 6lbs to give 2 cups. but what about dwarfs who are so small?

Yeah, just keep feeding the romaine, then you start adding the cilantro in slowly. The idea is to slowly give their gut bacteria time to adjust to the new food, and also to give you a chance to see if the new food is causing digestive trouble. So once a rabbit is used to one veggie, you're just adding onto that, one at a time. I would say for a one pound rabbit, around 1/3 cup a day is good, if you are also feeding hay and pellets. Are you wanting to feed more than that?

A small bit of carrot is fine each day, if you aren't feeding any other sugary treats, and your rabbit isn't showing any signs of mushy poop or smaller than usual poop from GI slowdown. I believe the recommended amount is 1 tbsp. each day, for a 2 lb rabbit, so around a tsp for your bun, or about half of a small baby carrot.

Last edited:
That is very helpful! I am probably feeding about 1 tbsp of the things I have tried so far. I was worried about giving too much food and overdoing it cause she is a small rabbit. so I will work my way up to 1/3 cup then because I would say she is close to a pound. She is still eating pellets and has hay at all times but eventually I'd like to give more veges and less pellets.

Try her with fresh herbs and dandelion leaves, they can eat quite a number of fresh herbs and I've yet to hear of a rabbit that doesn't like dandelion leaves. Make sure you thoroughly wash the dandelion leaves before offering them as they may have been sprayed with cat and dog pee.

okay i'll hve to try dandelion leaves! i'm very excited to let her eat all kinds of yummy food.

Latest posts

Back