Vanodine: What Do You Use It For????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a lot of people who put it through their water bottles. We however dont but we do mix it into a spray bottle and use it to clean our hutches out or clean the floor of rabbitry etc. :)

It's a surface disinfectant. I've only ever heard of cleaning cages and such with it. Water bottles make sense too as long as they're rinsed really well before using them. Like Polly said, a lot of people use it to clean cages, floors, etc. in rabbitries to prevent spreading bacteria.

Just for comparison, would you spray rubbing alcohol on your cat or dog? I haven't heard of anyone doing that.

The biggest area where diseases are spread is through mucous membranes anyway, such as the areas inside the nose and mouth. You can't disinfect those.

It's better to have a quarantine area where you can keep any rabbits separate from the rest if they become sick, are new, or may have been exposed to sick rabbits (such as at a show).

Here is some information about vanodine - a dilute rate table and more stuff:

http://www.vanodine.com/vanodine_v18_dilution.html

http://www.vanodine.com/vanodine_animal_dissinfect_faq.html

I have used vanodine before - even diluted vanodine on a rabbit and I know people who wipe down their rabbits w/ it after a show (diluted vanodine on a cloth - and then just lightly wipe over the rabbit).

I'm not taking a stand on it either way - but I have used it in the past.....I am almost out of it now.

I have used it as a disinfectant in the cages. I would think about using it to wipe down my rabbits but would never spray a rabbit with it. I wouldn't actually spray my rabbit with anything. I'm of the opinion that washing a rabbit or spraying it is something you do in very few instances. Wiping a rabbit down wouldn't be stressful for it, however, so I'd be more likely to do that. I also don't put it in the water...the only thing I put in the water is vitamins.

So Vanodine would be harmful if the bunnies ingested, it, right? I am really paranoid about that, so I have always used jsut vinegar for disinfecting in my cages and such since I know it won't hurt them any. I have always kinda wondered if it worked as well at killing germs as using something like Vanodine, though.

I use it toclean cages, feedersand water bowls. I disinfect my watering system lines with it. I have sprayedmy rabbits feet after showing (especially after seeing rabbit diarrhea in the show boxes). I have used it to disinfect cuts and scrapes. And I used a weak solution to flush an abcess. (With my vets blessing). Never had a problem.

I love using it. It really is a great product.I use it in my hutches, feed and water bowls, water bottles, andtravel cages. I spray they feet of my rabbits after they come off the table, or if Ido not have timeto do that I spray their feet before they go back into their hutch. I like that its powerful for killing germs and bacteria and such, but gentle enough to come in contact with my animals

Where can I get it?

I get it from Barbi Brown in California: http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/fam30.htm (Lots of information about it here).

Martin's Cages also sells it, but it's not usually on their website, you have to contact them and request it. www.martinscages.com

It is sold in highly concentrated form. You have to dilute it down with water. I mix 4 1/4 teaspoons in one gallon of water and use that for a cleaning and disinfecting solution.

BG, do you use the V-18 or the FAM-30, and what is the difference?

I use the V-18... (LOL! I order it by the gallon... soworried of being without it.)

Thank you. I want it for Ringo. :)

It can stain their fur, especially on lighter colored rabbits. But it works really well.

Latest posts

Back