Vacinations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Raisin! Welcome to the forum :)

I tried searching around for information on rabbit vaccines and I wasn't able to find much. Could you find a veterinarian or rabbit breeder to ask?

Hi M.E.

Thanks for the welcome! I have phoned a vet and he said that they do not need vacinations but I want to make sure as I read that the bunnies do need them in the USA and so on. Going to phone a different one later.

Thanks

Calling a vet is a good idea. I wouldn't know if you have any vaccines available. They're allowed in the UK, but in the US we're not allowed to vaccinate our rabbits for myxomatosis and vhd and they don't need rabies shots.

I'm glad I read this post as my buns have not been vaccinated. We took them to the vetsfor altering but they didn't mention vaccines. I shall trundle them off again (I'm sure they'll be thrilled) so that they don't catch anything nasty!

parsnipandtoffee wrote:
I'm glad I read this post as my buns have not been vaccinated. We took them to the vetsfor altering but they didn't mention vaccines. I shall trundle them off again (I'm sure they'll be thrilled) so that they don't catch anything nasty!
In the UK, rabbits are vaccinated against myxamatosis and VHD. Both are really horrible diseases, and very often fatal, so vaccination is essential. Some vets (the less rabbit savvy ones) think house rabbits don't really need the myxi vaccination, as they aren't in contact with infected rabbits. However, it can be easily carried by fleas etc so any rabbit can become infected. Last year was a reallybad year for myxamatosis and many wild rabbits and petsdied because of it.

I would definately recommend vaccination against both, but they have to be done two weeks apart from each other. Sorry, but it will mean 2 vet trips ;)

Jan

Back