Urine Scald

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Zoe, I agree Friday is better thannot at all Sweetie. You must be a nervous wreck with all of this. I'msure Ben will be ok. I will be sending nothing but good thoughts andheartfelt prayers for you both.

Tina

You should see if you can get him on acancellation waiting list at the vet's office so that they call you ifanyone cancels an appointment.

Poor Ben. That looks like it hurts.

I have to agree that Friday is better then nothing. Just watch him until then.

Prayers are being said.

Jen

Ben just got back from the vet... she feels thatthe sores on the bottoms of his feet are pressure sores from beinglarge and being on linoleum. She feels that thebald and raw spots underneath by hisgenitals arecaused from crystals in the urine, and that he has been quiteuncomfortable and that is why he stopped using his litterpan. She said a large part of her rabbit patients are broughtin for the same reason. She said that his diet needs to bechanged, and that he can not have any alfalfa based pellets atall. She basically wants him on an unlimited hay diet withmostly vegtables, and avery few timothy pellets.Also she put him on baytril to get rid of some of the irritation he hasgoing on, she feels that with a change of diet he should be doingbetter in a couple of weeks.

I don't know what to do about the pressure sores as I think he wouldfreak out if I started caging him, after never being caged.The vet wants him caged and put on a soft blanket or something likethat but I'm pretty sure he would eat it so I'm not sure what I'm goingto do.

Poor Ben. Hopefully, the meds and diet changes will take care of it.

Have you tried him with blankets or towels before? Maybe youcould put one down while you're there and watch him. Maybe amatt would be better? Grass matts won't hurt if he ingestssome of it.

Good luck,

Laura

How would an exercise pen work for him? they aredefinately larger than and cage and you can fashion them to any sizeyoud like. this particular brand sells add on panels to make it everbigger, put on a roof, etc. and then put the grass mats on the bottomso you said he may eat a towel if you put that on there.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441778744&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302035816&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1129310597217

I am so happy that you didnt come back with any seriously bad news!

and dont quote me, but I am pretty sure that GYpsy has mentioned usingliquid bandage on her rabbits sore hocks, that helps it heal faster (iuse it on my own cuts and swear by it)

Fell Better Ben!!!

Disclaimer ::: Liquid Bandage for hocksores : it should only be used if the sores arenot deep , its ok for surfacesores but not ones that are seriouslydeep , From the look of the one on Bensfoot I wouldnt recomend putting Liquidbandage on it , I would useeither bacitracin or any OTCtriple antibiotic ointment .

How is Ben going??
Did you end up popping him in a fenced off area?

Just wondering how he is doing overall.;)

Ben is doing a lot better now that he is onbaytril. A lot of the raw spots on his underneath are healingup. Also the switch over to timothy pellets went a lot betterthan I expected, but am having a hard time getting him to eat hisveggies. He acts like he is feeling a lot better so I ampretty happy about that.

I haven't caged him and when I give him a rug he eats it soI am still not quite sure what I am going to do about that, but rightnow his feet aren't bleeding and seem to be healingup.Tammi

That's good his sores are healing and the change in pellets went ok.
It's hard for them when you change things, these bunnies seem to like routine (well I know mine do).
The vegie thing will happen just give it time, and as for the wholeblankie thing just keep an eye on him that he isn't eating too muchthread, sounds like you have it all covered.

I am happy to see he is doing better:D

I'm wondering if you could give him straw matsto lay on. Some of them are nice and soft, like the Walmartones if you can find them. You'd have to tie them togetherfor big Ben, though.

I'm glad to hear he's doing better! Poor boy, that must have hurt!

*Ouch*

Those sores look mightfully hurtful. Good to know that Ben is doing fine.
Agreeing, I think straw mats are good for this situation. They don't cost alot so their affordable.

I have to say that Ben is one stud bunny ;)

Take cares, or in my language "Ingat"

K&E

You could try putting him on the black interlocking excercise matts -- would give a lot of relief to his boo-boo feet :)

Pam

You can still see where the sores were but he'snot bleeding from them, thank goodness. I got him a couple ofcarpet runners made from the real short kitchen type carpet so hecouldn't chew on them, and layered them under the foot of the bed wherehe sleeps all of the time.

Also he's done with his baytril treatment and is doing a lot better,the urine burn has totally cleared up and the hair is growing backunderneath. His switch over to timothy hay pellets went waybetter than I expected, and I think that has really helped with thecrystals in his urine. All in all I am a much relieved bunnymommy (slave). Ben is the light in mylife:).Tammi

zoecat6 wrote:
Ben is the light in mylife:).Tammi

He's extra special to us too, Tammi. I just adore Ben.

I'm Thrilled he has you as a Mom. Good job healing him.

:star:

-Carolyn

I had to take Bento the vet again last week. His feet are all healed up, butsince he's been off baytril he's having the urinary problems again. Thevet senta urine sample to the lab and he's got extremelythick urine, with a lot of calcium crystals in it. She saidthere is supposed to be a bacteria in urine that takes care of thecalcium, but he doesn't have any of it. The only suggestionshe had was to get some cecal poops from the other rabbits who probablyhave the bacteria present and make him eat it (yuck). Nowthat I need cecal pellets that I used to find all of the time, thereare none to be found. I am really worried about him and am alittle frustrated by the situation. She also said I shouldsyringe more water into him to keep his water intake up but shouldn't Ibe worried about getting some in his lungs if I do that? Anysuggestions welcome!

Is he drinking on his own? Maybe youcould just encourage him to drink more. Give him a bowl if hehas a bottle. See if he likes vanilla or unsweetenedPedialyte- he might drink more if it tastes good. It would beless stress on both of you, too.

I hope he get better soon.

Latest posts

Back