Urine scald

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you. This is from your last link - recommended #1 and #2 - I have both of them from the vet (the first is a powder, the second is a cream)

1. Neo-predef - topical powder that is excellent for inflammation and helps to relieve pain
  2. Silvadine - topical cream that is soothing and excellent as an antibiotic and great for minor cuts or dermatitis issues

No he didn't mention anything about pain control... visually she has no sign of being in pain.
I am concerned about the Xray though... it's not good to know that her hip can be "almost destroyed"

I am so clumsy washing her butt. don't know what to do. SHe is a big bunny that makes everything hard. At first I hold her front legs in the air and put her hind legs with her butt in a clean littlebox filled with a little bit of water. Then when I wet her coat, I need to lather some shampoo - that's easy, then I have to wait for 5-10 minutes so I just put her in her normal position (on all her legs, belly down) on a chair. After this I am supposed to rinse the shampoo really well and I am not sure how to do it. So I hold her on my lap in reclined position (not quite lying down on her back but almost) while I am sitting on the bathtub side and I rinse her with the weak luke-warm shower. OF course, my pants get wet all over when I do it. Then I dry her butt with the towel and then blower dry on cool air. I have to say that drying isn't very efficient, she is still a bit wet when when I let her go...
The shaved area is usually dry by then so I apply some Neo-predef powder on her affected area and let he go. Need to improve the procedure but I don't know how.

What a nightmare, so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like you are doing the best you can though and as long as she doesn't get too stressed out then I'd say you're doing great.

oh no, this is far from being a nightmare. she is actively eating grass. she moves freely, I just have some inconvenience taking care of her, but this is OK. I will be getting some kind of a bathtub seat to make washes more pleasant to everybody.

I just wonder what wrong with her hip.

Remember the vet who told me that urine scald was nothing wrong? I also bought from her some Revolution, I didn't know how many mg I needed so I just relied on her prescription. After I checked, it turned out that given amount wasn't sufficient for even my smallest rabbit.
Today I stopped at her office to say that this amount isn't enough (15 mg * 3 = 45mg total). I had a piece of paper where I wrote down rabbits weight, recommended dosage, and my calculations. Receptionist took the paper and went to ask the vet. They had no patients at the time, and I am suspecting that the vet was probably eating her lunch (they don't close for lunch). Anyway, the receptionist came back and said that the vet verified that this is the dosage I need to use and more would be unsafe and toxic. You may ask me why I didn't ask to talk to the vet... HOnestly, I didn't want to see her at all. I just wanted the correct amount of Revolution or to return what I bought. This lady vet claims she is such a rabbit expert, while she is not. I previously brought my bunny with urine scald to her, and she said that the reason is that bunny is too furry and nothing needs to be done except shaving her private area from time to time. It was totally a bull**** so when I called the next day and asked why she didn't perform any tests, she was talking to me like "don't imagine being a doctor - I am a doctor here, and I know better". I had to spend more money taking my bun to the different vet with the same problem.
And now she tells me that Revolution she sold me is OK.
Honestly, I want to teach her a lesson. Where do I need to file my complain? Better business bureau or Vet association? I don't want her to have problem with the license, and after her first mistake I decided to do nothing, but now I am pissed! I wasted so much time on her, and lost money (I am not very rich)
I am in US.
user_online.gif

I just wanted to post an update. My rabbit doesn't seem to have urine scald anymore. I don't know what helped... we did some antibiotics, we shaved her private area twice, also it's much cooler outside which results in my bunnies being much more active and eating grass like they should. She had a problem during summer months when it was very hot and the buns didn't want much. We also treated them with Revolution.
By the way, I have a friend who used to be working as vet assistant, now she has private grooming for dogs. She said that shaving does help to prevent problems like urine scald... don't know how possible but that's her opinion based on experience.

Hope everybody's bunnies are well!

Back