Urine Scald

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbitsmom

Reaction score
I have a female Californian, Snowball who came to me because she was surrendered to Midwest RR&R, but she was emaciated and could barely walk. We've nursed her back to health and she is doing fine, other than she is not real sure-footed. She tends to tippy-toe around instead of hopping.

Anyways, we've bonder her to a male Californian, Jeffrey and they are happy together. But Snowball spends a lot of time sitting in her litter box,because she has a hard time moving around the pen (slippery floor linoleum), so we've put down some carpeting so she can gain traction. I picked her up the other day and wediscovered that she has urine scald on the inside of one of her back legs.

I will treat this with Silvadene and keep her box really clean, but someone mentioned to me that I should get these pads called "Palace Bedding". I can't seem to find them and am wondering if anyone knows what these are and maybe where I can get them.

I want to make sure that this little girl doesn't have to go through this ever again! She has had such a rough life and things have finally turned around for her, I don't want her to suffer another day.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!! Any other suggestions for treating her urine scald would be sooooo helpful!!! Thanks again everyone!

Laura

Thanks for the link. It was suggested that I put this in her litter pan kind of in place of her litter to remove the moisture from her skin as soon as she urinates. Have you ever used this item?

I really do appreciate your help. I went on the website, found what I wanted and called them to place an order. They were very helpful and I should have my order by Tuesday. I'll just have to be really very careful of her until we get this bedding for her. I'll just micromanage her litter box, I guess.

No big deal. I just can't stand the thought of her in pain.

Thanks again! Laura

Good Deals. Great People.

That's the same price I got when I ordered from them.
I ordered the largest and the thickest sizes. They are very easy to cut with a razor bladefor fit.

When the bunny pees on it, the moisture drains to the bottom and the fleece is so thick, the bunny doesn't contact the dampness. The backing on the bottom of the bed keeps the pee from leaking out, but you do have to take it out to rinse off the pee. After that, I hang the bed up to drip dry.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to trying this with Snowball. It will help her heal alot faster and we won't have to really worry about it happening again. I HOPE!!!

Have a great weekend! Laura

You might try a plastic screen in the litter pan on top of the litter.

What kind of litter do you use.
I use wood pellets and they absorb so quick the bun doesn't get a chance to get wet from the urine.

I had two buns with urine scald issues.
First thing, I check is to see if the is any physical obstruction.... like matted fur.
A diet change made a major difference with mine, too. I switched them both to a lower protein feed and the both seem to be a lot less prone to scald.

How are her hocks?

Jim,

Thanks for all of the info. My issue is complicated by the fact that she is bonded to a fellow who has sore hocks history. When I adopted Jeffrey I was told that he should have a screen in his litter pan so he doesn't get wet feet, which agitate his sore hocks. Okay, no problem we used a screen.

However, he is now bonded to Snowball and she is so fragile that I thought the screen was giving her sore hocks. So we took the screen out and just try to clean their litter pans very often. I use wood pellets, but we break them down with warm water and make it into a soft dust.

Because she is so fragile and weak, she doesn't come out of the litter pan very often and I think that is why she is getting urine scald. Her bottom is always clean and she doesn't have pee stained fur next to her genitals.

I have put carpet down in the pen to encourage her to exit the litter pan, but I think she is a scared soul and doesn't like to hop around. She is really a bunny that tippy-toes all of the time.

Laura

Hi Laura,

I have one bun, Mooshu,with spraddled hind legs (aka knock-kneed),that has a hard time getting in and out of her litter pan.
She also dislikes wire flooring. Her old setup was a wire bottom cage, so she would spend most of the time in her litter pan.
I built her a new setup that is a NIC pen with plastic flooring. She likes it, but still had a hard time getting in and out of her pan. She's got very good litter instincts. She pees in her pan 100% of the time, but poops where ever because it must be easier than getting in the pan. SoI cut the front of the pan down....which resulted in a major mess every time she used it.
I bought a new pan that is only a couple of inches deep and she's been doing better, but I think I need to keep working on the idea.

The next plan is to build ramps for the litter pan, or somehow recess the pan.

I also found that Bass Equipment has a really nice litter pan (Bass Potty Box) with a vinyl coated screen that I'm thinking about buying.

Mooshu loves to be on the carpeting when she's out for runtime. You can tell she's much more confident and sure-footed. She runs kind of sidways and binkysoff at odd angles....but she sure has a ball.:D

~Jim

slavetoabunny wrote:
Go to this link: http://www.montereymills.com/index.php?id=17

About halfway down the page are the Palace Pet Beds. This is the company that manufactures the beds and these are the sale items. Great prices!

You need to call or email their customer service to order. They don't have online ordering.

I know that it has already been purcharshed. But, there is a website where you can order on the website for future reference. it is: http://www.palacepet.com/order.cfm

It's the same company. This is where i got mine. My rabbit likes to dig on it.

Edit:I did notice that it does cost more on this website.

Muffy had urine scalding as well. I used something called "Hexadene Flush". It's an antibiotic flush that kills any bacteria and heals the scaring. I also had her taken to a groomer to have the urine damaged fur removed. Within a few weeks, all her urine scars were gone completely. And the fur grew back to a healthy state.

With hexadene, you could only really use it twice a week after a bottom bath.. and then take a break with it. Or really small amounts every few days. There's a hexadene shampoo that you could use more often.

Hi there! I had a foster bunny that came to my house several months ago and he had urine scald due to neglect. We used a cream called "Silvadene" and just kept his litter box very clean. He healed up very nicely with a wonderful new coat of fur on his hind quarters.

The Silvadene is very soothing to their irritated skin and you can use it everyday.

My girl, Snowball, doesn't even have redness on her skin, but I just noticed the slight balding and because she doesn't move around so much I'm assuming that is what it is.

I can't wait to get the palace bedding that I ordered and see how that works. She should be better in no time!

Thanks for the heads up on the hexadene cream!:D Laura

Hey Laura, let me know what you think of the Palace Pet Beds. I rememberCarrie said Jillused them for her disabled bunnies. I was going to place an order but havent yet.

Let me know if theyre nice and I'll order an extra one for Janet when I place my order :)

And yes, silvadine does work wonders!

Here is a picture of Pebbles and the Pet Bed. They are the thickest of all the fleece beds I've seen. Orderthe largest and cut it yourself. I ordered the 30X40, but you canget evenlarger sizes. It was cheaper to go larger.

The one in the picturealso fits the inside ofmypet carrier. You can cut whatever size you want.

eraqt3.jpg

Haley,

I just got my palace bedding today, but haven't passed it out yet. I know that Jill swears by it! I'm looking forward to getting it out and cutting it to fit Snowball's litter pan. I ended up buying pieces that were already in certain sizes and then I bought a roll that has almost 4 yards on it so I can use it at the shelter if we start having any problems.

I figured it is a good tool to have around because I've heard such good things about it.

I talked with Carrie today at lunchtime and she said Janet was doing pretty well. She is eating fine and Carrie is giving her fluids and Metacam, so for now, I think she is stable.

Talk with you soon.

Laura

I actually did order a roll that has almost 4 yards on it and I can't wait to get it out and cut it to size. I sure hope it helps my Snowball and her urine scald. Thanks for the picture. YourPebbles is beautiful!

Hey Laura, where did you order the 4 yards from? I would like to line the second level of my condo with some of this but the only ones Im seeing are the small squares to order.

Oh wow thanks Patti- I missed that!

Im excited to order some- its so much cheaper on this site. It will make a nice bed for my bunnies in their condos- they tend to pee on the ones they have every so often so this will be nice and easy to clean.

Latest posts

Back