URGENT. Rabbit neglect.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeytonCara

Reaction score
So today, I went to Petland. I never buy anything from there, because I always see animals treated poorly and I always here about how their dogs come from puppy mills. Anyways, I go in to pet the bunnies, try to show them some affection since most of them seem really unhappy. Well today, I walked in and what I saw absolutely disgusted me.

I found a very young rabbit with a severe case of splayed legs. The rabbit is kept on a slippery floor, with no traction and has a hard time getting around. I asked to speak with the manager, and the worker I asked first asked me to explain what the problem was. I explained to him that this rabbit needed medical attention immediately and told him why. I explained to him that I own a rabbit rescue, and I would be more than willing to take it off of their hands and take full responsibility for all of it's needs, and medical bills.

The clerk left, came back and told me "No need to worry, the problem is taken care of," I asked him how, and if I would be able to take the rabbit. He told me no, and that the breeder was going to come to the store tonight and "take care of it". I just looked at him, and I told him that the breeder would most likely kill it. He said "well there's not anything you can do about it." He tried to assure me that a few weeks ago a boy broke a rabbits leg, and the breeder took it back, heeled him, and brought him back to the store to be sold again. I asked if I could get contact information of the breeder, and was denied. After it was very clear they would not give me the rabbit, I asked if he would take my name and number and tell the breeder that if she decided to kill the rabbit, I would take it. I expressed to him to make it very very clear I was willing to take this rabbit if she did not want it.

Pretty much I am really worried about this little one. I am afraid they will not give my contact info to the breeder, and this little one will end up dead or sold anyways despite it's defect. Should I go back in and just buy the little one? I'm not sure what to do in this situation. My heart is broken for this little one. Also, it is a very severe case. Is there any hope for this rabbit to live a normal life? I'm not too familiar with splayed legs.

Here's a picture. Regardless of what happens, I plan on reporting them. About two weeks ago I went in. I was really confused when I saw one little bunny by himself. They never separate them. He was so friendly and was being sold at a discount price, confused I started to investigate. Turns out he had ringworm. They did not tell any people this in the pet store, this place is disgusting and cruel.

Personally since I work with rescues here in Virginia, I would not have left without the rabbit. You know they are probably going to put it down. I would try to get him tonight before they put him down. That is my personal opinion. I had to call the police tonight because the temp got to 70 something and someone left a 100 pound plus dog in the car in direct sunlight, no windows down and you could see him panting like crazy...

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully this rabbit can get help before he is put down like a thrown away news paper.

Vanessa

Hard decision, because the last thing you want to do is give a pet store that you hate, money for the rabbit. But at the same time, leaving the rabbit there is also awful. Can it at least be reported to someone? You have a photo so that might help.

That's the same outfit that had an employee drown two sick rabbits at her manager's request--she then posted pictures of her smiling face holding the dead bunnies to facebook. The District attorney let her off with a slap on the wrist "because her life was in danger if she showed her face in court". Calls to the corporate office got a baloney recorded message and the District attorney wouldn't answer any calls either. Make sure you notify any and all authorities and organizations, get a number for the regional manager of the store and make a complaint as well as to the district attorney. I also write to newspapers and help line numbers on Television stations in your area. Shine a spotlight on them and see how they will sing a different tune!

That's the same outfit that had an employee drown two sick rabbits at her manager's request--she then posted pictures of her smiling face holding the dead bunnies to facebook. The District attorney let her off with a slap on the wrist "because her life was in danger if she showed her face in court". Calls to the corporate office got a baloney recorded message and the District attorney wouldn't answer any calls either. Make sure you notify any and all authorities and organizations, get a number for the regional manager of the store and make a complaint as well as to the district attorney. I also write to newspapers and help line numbers on Television stations in your area. Shine a spotlight on them and see how they will sing a different tune!

What a bloody sick world we live in when people do things like that. How freaking in humane...

Vanessa

The only reason I didn't take it home when I first had the conversation with the worker is because he made it clear that they would not sell a sick rabbit, therefore, would have to go through the breeder once the breeder picked it up. I went home worried sick about the little bunny. About two hours later I couldn't stomach it anymore, I decided I would rather pay the company money and get it medical attention rather than let them deal with it. I called back to let them know I was coming, to pay full price for the sick rabbit. I asked for the manager, and the worker very hesitantly said "She's speaking".. pretty sure she was not even the manager. I asked her, since she had been the one who had supposedly dealt with me earlier. When I mentioned the rabbit she had NO IDEA what I was talking about. I was so angry, I explained to her that a worker had left me out front to go talk to her about the rabbit, and he said that he talked to you. She said hold on let me check for the rabbit. "The rabbit is no longer with us" I was told. I asked what she meant, after hesitating she said it was sold to another costumer. I was absolutely furious, I was told this rabbit could not be sold! I am 99.999999% they killed this little one. I went to the store to raise hell. I was treated like poop, disrespected, and got no answers. How convenient the rabbit just disappeared. It absolutely makes me sick, and I feel incredibly guilty for not being able to save him/her:(

I mean I literally own a rescue, and made it so clear to them I would completely take care of this bunny. Death did not have to be the answer. I mean it's a possibility they sold it, but I find it kind of odd that they wouldn't sell it to me but when a ten year old girl and her mom walk in they just hand the crippled bunny over. Sickening. Even if this bunny did get sold, it most likely isn't getting the medical attention it needs. I am a wreck right now. I don't understand how people can be so cruel. They look at these animals like objects, not living creatures. While I was waiting to be helped, another girl walked in with a rabbit she bought earlier because it had an abscess on it's toe where it's entire toe nail was ripped out. I pointed out that between the bunnies sneezing, the ring worm, splayed legs, and missing toenail that these animals were obviously been neglected and no workers or managers had any answers for me.

I don't plan on letting this slide. I will contact anyone and everyone possible until something is done. I don't care if I have to protest outside their store every weekend. They messed with the wrong bun mom!

Oh my... I am horrified reading this all....
If i lived closer i'd be right there with you protesting ! that is outrageous !
Those poor animals.

That is outrageous.
I'm totally with you, I'm so furious!

I can't believe people would be so cruel.
Please keep us updated and don't give up, I am keen to see some sort of resolution to this.
Good for you for doing the right thing.

This horrified me as well.I would do everything possible to contact authorities humane societies and local new channels to get word out that the pets they sell are not kept in humane conditions. I would even go as far as to post flyers around but that is just me I had friend do this once and she actually got fined for littering but the local paper covered her story so it was success the pet store closed down!

At the moment I am spreading the word in my area, trying to gather other stories and evidence. So far I have heard two more horrible stories. One, they were selling a bird that was too young to be eating the seed mix they were giving it. It's beak broke, and it starved to death. Another one was a puppy who was bought from the store, was completely unhealthy, died of some terrible disease, and now the owners can't get a dog for many years because apparently it is so highly contagious and their entire house/backyard is contaminated. I am afraid if I contact the police, they won't really take me seriously. I would love to get this place shut down, and at the very least, make the living arrangement for the rabbits more livable. I would love to find the local breeder who sells to them.

I have photo evidence of many of these instances, I hope I can bring enough attention to this to actually get something done. I told them I would come in regularly to check on the rabbits, and they verrrrryyyy sarcastically said "We look forward to seeing you" and laughed. These people are terrible, they are cruel and honestly do not care about any of the animals in the store. I can't even express my anger in words at this point.. something better be done.

I would side step the police and go to the district attorney or I once called the city attorney and had a long talk with her about a neighbor we had trouble with. He got seven citations from the building department, 4 citations from the fire department, had to clean his front and back yard and get rid of 3 derelict vehicle. His 2 wonderful daughters were both picked up for selling drugs. That one call took care of everything after I had called the others--building, fire, and police more than 40 times and none wanted to do anything when I talked to them and I never got a phone call back if I left a message. Some do take the laws seriously and I am thankful for them while others just consider it a job that they don't get paid any extra for doing anything. Keep at it and you'll save countless animals.

I would also try enlisting the help of your city alderperson - the one that covers where you live and also the one who represents the area where the store is located. Those people often have a better sense of how to navigate the system, have contacts, etc. Definitely the Humane Society as well.

P.S. How about contacting a reporter at the local paper? Journalists usually love this kind of stuff.

I think the journalist idea is a great one!
Word of mouth is so powerful if you're a shop. Try the Huffington post or somewhere like that too, imagine if it went viral and everyone heard!

My heart is breaking for that young bunny. Seeing animals in such a terrible environment such as this, makes me sick to my stomach. I can't believe how heartless some people are. I can't even imagine what kind of people they are if they can just kill a living creature and not think twice about it. People make me sick! I can't even bring myself to think of killing an animal, they are living, breathing beings who deserve to live their lives to the fullest.

Good for you for standing up for this bunny and trying to get this place shut down. I really hope you succeed. All living things deserve a good life, not one where they are neglected, or killed just because something is wrong with them. I will definitely be spreading the word around here. It may not do much good, but at least you know that this is getting out there to people in other areas.

I just looked at a close up of the rabbit- and now I feel really bad too- so sad. I have a similar problem where I live but I don't think the pet shop owner is cruel she is just kind of dumb.... she is taking rabbits usually from people who are going to dump them, and because she wants to give all he bunnies a chance she takes too many and over crowds the cages- problem is they looks sick, thin, runny eyes etc... and she puts several litters together in one giant play pen where I'm sure they all infect each other.

Latest posts

Back