Upset & Confused

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueberryBunbun

Reaction score
I've got another problem with Tufty. When Ifirst got her, she didn't really mind being picked up although she squirmed a bit. Now, for some reason, especially this past week, she runs away when ever I try and pick her out of her hutch, and when I lift her out she goes into a mad scramble and usually injures me, then ends up bumping into something or scrabbling back into her hutch and hiding in a corner. I'm really upset and confused as I can't understand why im scaring her so much, and I really need some advice as to how I can get her trust. I just went out and talked to her for a bit, but she was still really reluctant to let me get my hands around her to pick her up. Eventually I thought, enough is enough, I have to be firm,andI kind of grabbed her as best I could. As I picked her up she scrambled out of my grip and thumped back into her hutch, managing to cut my finger open in the process. I don't know what to do, please help!

:sad:I feel like she thinks of me as a predator rather than someone who loves her!

How old is Tufty now? Do you have to pick her up to get her out of the hutch?

I had the same problem with Mocha. Turns out she was cage territorial and didn't want me picking her up in her cage or messing with her stuff while she was in there. I just moved things around so I could let her come out of her cage on her own. She also went through a period where she didn't want me picking her up outside of the cage either. When she hit about 3.5 months she became an absolute snuggle bun, circling my feet and begging for petting. Then it was okay to pick her up again, as long as I had been petting her and she got more snuggles while she was up.

Don't worry, it's not you! It's just normal territorialness and hormones. You might want to try letting her come out of her cage on own.

How do you hold her? It is best to put one hand under her hind legs, and one hand on her chest, but don't squeeze tightly, or you could injure her, and frighten her.

Keep trying to pick her up until she doesn't kick (as much), and then if possible, feed her a treat. This'll tell her that not kicking = good.

Good Luck :wink:

Tufty's about 3 months oldnow, I think, and I've only had her for a little over a month. I'm just worried that she's scared of me, because I seem to be getting it all wrong and I think maybe I've really freaked her out. I've tried letting her come out of her hutch on her own but because her hutch is in the garden, she hops out onto the lawn and then its impossible for me to catch her for ages! I don't know how I'm meant to pick her up if I want to carry her straight inside or sit with her on my lap, because at the moment she wont let me handle her. She's perfectly fine if I've already got her in my arms or on my lap, it's just getting her out of her hutch, or up off the floor. She doesn't even mind if I put my hand up to the cage mesh right next to her,or place my hand on her head, but she won't letme put myhands around her to scoop her up.I hear about people's rabbits hopping up onto their laps and climbing into their arms, and it makes me wonder what I've done wrong.. ? :(

Hope this gives youa bit more info. Blueberry x

Usually I pick her up with one hand behind thefront legs, and the other supporting her rear, and then scoop her up.She never used to kick when I did that, but now I don't even get thechance to pick her up properly. Im scared about trying in case I hurther.

I pick Mocha up like you do. Actually, now thatshe's all lovey all I have to do most of the time is put one hand underher belly and slide it up beneath her front feet and then do the samewith her back feet and then lift. I'm usually kneeling when I do thisand can get her snuggled on my chest quickly. It's not a very securehold, it only works because all she wants is to be loved.:D Actually, Ican't pick her up right now anyways because she's still pissed aboutthe spay.

She's not afraid of you, she's afraid of you "invading her territory"(how she sees it) and making her "fly through the air." Maybe you couldput a pet carrier up to the door of the hutch? Put a few treats in itand use a command word like playtime. If you can get her to do that shemight feel more comfortable with it. My only other suggestion is tojust move the cage inside if you can.

Oh and blueberrybunbun, all these sweet, lovey rabbits are older. It'sprobably a function of age and hormones. And a lot of rabbits simplynever like being picked up or cuddled at all. It's just theirpersonality. But keep working with her and don't give up. She'll getover it eventually, when she realizes how much she'd rather be with youthan in her hutch.

When was the last time you tried to pick her up?Give her a couple of hours to calm down. And it may take a while to gether to go in the carrier, especially if she's not used to it orassociates it with vet visits.

Best of luck!

I last tried to pick her up about an hour ago,then gave up because she took a load of skin off my fingers, and bumpedher head. I dont really have a pet carrier, as I've only had her amonth, and she's not been to the vet with me yet. I have a cardboardbox petshop carrier with a handle and some holes in that we took herhome in when we first got her, but I dont know if she'll want to get init, and she can easily hop out again. I may pop out again now and giveher some banana, and if she if feeling calmer maybe try again atpicking her up. Thank you so much for all your help, I will try yoursuggestions. x Blueberry

BlueberryBunbun wrote:
I hear about people's rabbits hopping up ontotheir laps and climbing into their arms, and it makes me wonder whatI've done wrong.. ? :(
It takes a long time for the bunny to get comfortable with you beforethey start jumping up to you. I thinkhouse bunnies are more receptive than outside bunnies.

It also takes alot of handling and picking up before your rabbit issecure enough to let you pick her up. I have noproblems with Pebbles, but she runs when my wifetries to pick her up.

Rainbows! :angel:

Mission accomplished. Well,I went out to see her just now and it seems it is mostly a territory thing.

I found a plastic milkbottle crate and put a towel in the bottom, andsome hay from her hutch, and held it out in front of the door. After alot of investigating, she hopped in and I lifted the crate up and putit on the roof of her hutch. She then let me scoop her up with noproblems. I took her inside, and we sat for about 10 minutes with heron my lap, but because its night time and she's most active, she justwanted to run around and so she got restless and began to scratch andbite the cushions, which I can understand. However, She let me strokeher and had no problems or inhibitions about me picking her up then,and I put her back into her hutch when I felt better that she wascomfortable and settled down. I will from now on just let her hop intothe crate and i'll pick her up from there, thank you so much for allthe help, its pretty much completely solved my problem!

I know its going to take a long time to earn her complete trust and sheprobably wont be happy with me picking her out of the hutch until she'solder, but at least now I can access her without traumatising her andlosing a lot of my confidence with handling (not to mention a lot ofskin off my hands!)

What do you think?

Big hugs to you all, and thankyoooou to naturestee for the great pet carrier idea. xxx Blueberry :)

Well she's a really docile little bean andusually puts up with most of my stupid handling mistakes, and I'm justreally thankful of all your help. :hug:

Hi i am very new to bunny ownershipship having had guinea pigs before,George does not like being lifted at all i try little short slow lifts when i have to,get him into a cat basket to move him from the overnight utility room cage to his outside hutch and run ,He has cottoned on in the mornings, as he also has a half hr run around the lounge that he obv likes he is more ok with being lifted then so when they learn it`s to their own benefit they`ll tolerate it!Maybe put i treat in the carrier and when they jump in shut the door and move them to where you need i find this much quicker and less stress i also leave the basket in his run so he can play around and in it which he does.Hope that helps,Sue

Latest posts

Back