Upcoming Spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lati

Morgan
Reaction score
Hello bunny lovers!

My darling angel is going in to get spayed on Friday, she is a dwarf-angora mix and 2 and a half years old. She is a house bunny and loving, caring, playful, everything you could want in a rabbit

We've read up on the process and the after care - we're going to leave her in a nice small area with everything she will need and we're going to sleep in the same room to keep an eye on her. We are going to a nice vet that we trust, so we've looked into it a lot.

It's just that we're very nervous because she is older and she is so important to us, we were wondering if anyone had any general tips and advice on how we can make her completely comfortable or signs to watch out for.

I've had boy bunnies neutered but this is the first time with a female.

Any advice is welcome!

Make sure to get pain medication. Metacam is usually prescribed, but I am not sure what is available where you are. Usually at least a few days worth are given fro females, but some vets might give more. Rabbits do hide pain well, but they still feel it. A rabbit is pain is not apt to eat or drink which leads to other issues.

Use towels, fleece or other fabric for bedding while she heals. Other litters can irritate the incision. You can also more easily see pee and poop on a towel. You can use a short sided litter pan, but nothing too tall. Paper towel or newspaper in the litter box can be good for a couple days. Change the bedding at least daily.

Try to get her eating as soon as you can. She might not want to the first day, but anything is good. Buy some veggies that she like and even treats to help tempt her to eat.

Latest posts

Back