Unusual droppings

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckers

Reaction score
Hi, I was cleaning out Floppy's litterbox thismorning when I noticed a white substance. I know its disgusting, but italmost looked like white chocolate that you would put on pretzels--sameconsitency and color. Is this the usual coloration of bunny diarrhea? Iscooped and bagged some in case we go to the vet tomorrow. The rest ofthe litter box looked fine--all the poops were normal sized and thewhite area was a little bigger than quarter sized.

Otherwise, he's acting normally. He's finished his pellets and eaten asmuch timothy hay as normal over the past few days. I did give him a fewsmall pieces of apple on Friday, but he's had that before with noproblems. As far as activity, he's been running around this morning. Weplayed on the porch and he did some binkys. Right now, it looks likehe's about to start in on his afternoon nap, but that's a dailyoccurence. We rescued him from our yard in September, and since thenhe's been treated for an awful ear mite condition, neutered, and hadshots for worms. Could this be related to the worms--he had his lasttreatment in February and I've been watching closely to see if theycome back again. I'd never been near a rabbit before I found him, soits been a real learning experience (but worth every minute, I love mylittle boy!)

Sorry if there's another post about this--I noticed a few aboutdiarrhea, but none mentioning white coloration. What I really need toknow is when and if I should take him to the vet--emergency clinictoday, normal vet tomorrow, or is this a normal occurance?

Thank you so much (Floppy thanks you too--he doesn't like being sick :))

Sorry I forgot to mention he also gets about twocups of greens in the evening. Right now, I have endive in the fridge.He's had it before, so I've pretty much ruled it out as the culprit.

If it's urine, I can't imagine how painful thatmust have been--it's thick enough to hold the pooplets together. Hedoesn't eat anything on the high calcium list--recently I've cut downon how many pellets he gets. Thanks for your help, I'll keep watchinghim to see if it happens again.

Hey,

It's a normal thing for there to be a white build-up under the pens.Really all it is, is an excess of Calcium that the rabbit didn't useand so they expel it, just the same as any other animal. Rabbit urineis usually a "cloudy" color when it comes out, and then later as someof the liquid evaporates off the "white" is left. After a while thiscan lead to the thick creamy stuff that can hold very strongly in droppans and make quite a mess.

Kat

dont be alarmed. sometimes the urine is thick.also if the cage is a bit small, they sometimes urinate on thedroppings and it causes it to turn white and sticky.

I've checked his litter box this morning andeverything looks alright. He only urinated once yesterday, so that hadme a little worried, but then again I don't usually pay much attentionto how often he urinates. It might have been the normal amount. Itdidn't look like he was straining. He's gone a little moreovernight/this morning, once again with no white or other problems. Cana rabbit expel calcium every once in a while with no problem and I justhaven't noticed before? He's acting normally--do I need to make a vetappointment for today?

I have noticed in our litter pans that they do occasionally expell more calcium in the urine and it is very thick and white.

As long as everything else appears fine, they I would not be overly concerned.

Pam

Latest posts

Back