Unsupervised rabbit - now mom really sad!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddie_20

Reaction score
My rabbit nibbles has made wholes in different parts of couch.. and now my mom and dad are flipping!!!! I don't know what to do.. I feel so bad . My mom now says that she isn't to come out of her cage at all... But i will let her out when my parents aren' taround well at least for a while :(... She seems happy even in her cage but her cage isn't that big. The sad thing is the couch is 20 years old andmy parents are super mad about something like that!!!It was upstairs and the only person who really saw itwas me and my parents .. no one else..

I just don't get why they are so bent up about this stupid couch...I feel so bad for my baby! She is just doing what comes natural to her... I am thinking of making her a bigger cage so that when my parents are home and she has to be in her cage she will have more room to be in it.

I am just feeling really bad about it. What do Ido to please both my bunny and my parents..? :S

Thanks

Madhura

Parents rant and rave over what most think is foolish. Give it a few days , so they can calm down then ask before you let her run free and make a promise to watch her more carefully and stick to it , being a parent twice over its the best advice I can offer hon sorry .

I am a bit worried about her chewing so many holes in the couch. She didn't eat any of it did she? Please keep an eye on her. Give her some extra hay to help her from getting blocked up.

I wish I knew what to say about the parents but sadly I don't know what to say. I hope things get better. It's not fair to Nibbles. Maybe if she is only out in a small part of the room while someone is constantly watching her.

I hope things get better.

Tina

I have been through that with my own rabbit. She tends to chew more on carpet though (she doesn't really go outside, espically now since there are so many fleas out there!).

My suggestion is this, they have these pens at Pets Mart (I'm not sure if you're in the US or not)... they're for large and small dogs. They come with a cover. If you got one small enough, and one with a cover you could set it up somewhere and she could have her play area. If nothing else they could be for when you don't supervise her outings.

How old is she though?I know my rabbit grew out of the ripping things to shreds after a while. Man when she ripped things to shreds she did it well.

You should meet Nimue....:)

My mom WISHES he just chewed on the couch!His favorite thing to do is pee on the couch!!!!

You should see me running around franticlytrying to scrub it away, and then blame it on a cup ofwater

You could also buy a couch cover and noone will ever know there arehole init

~Amy

Maddie_20 wrote:
My rabbit nibbles has made wholes in different parts ofcouch.. and now my mom and dad are flipping!!!! I don't know what todo.. i feel so bad . My mom now says that she isn't to come out of hercage at all... but i will let her out when my parents aren't aroundwell at least for a while :(... she seems happy even in her cage buther cage isn't that big. The sad thing is the couch is 20 years oldandmy parents are super mad about something likethat!!!It was upstairs and the only person who really saw itwas me and my parents .. no one else..

I just don't get why they are so bent up about this stupid couch... i

Thanks

Madhura

I'd be pretty upset about the couch also -- they are not cheap toreplace. How about purchasing a nice cover for thecouch? It'll update the look and I'm sure your parents willappreciate the thought.

From now on . . . I would closely supervise bunny :)

Pam

Didn'tsomebunny else chew up a couch much to everybodies surprise??

That's what bunnies do!

~Jim

Well, your bunny is living up to her name! :)

Maddie, I went through many times in my teens when one of my rabbitswould chew/dig/destroy something in the house. It didn't have to be anexpensive item - it often was something that was well past worn out -but my dad got extremely upset anyway simply for the fact that ananimal did it. He loved pets too, but having to pay for damage to thefurniture and/or whatever else they marked or ruined kind of dampenedhis enthusiasm for allowing me to have the bunnies in the house.

I like the suggestion that Pam made about buying a cover for the sofa.This way you will be showing your parents that you understand why theyare upset, and you are making amends as best you can. And either aconfined area, such as a pen that was also suggested, or supervisedfree time with Nibbles would probably help a lot. After severalfurniture-destroying incidents at my house (and the fake threat ofhaving bunny stew for dinner!) my rabbits were allowed to play in theliving room only if I was watching them, but they had full unsupervisedplay time in the kitchen, where there was nothing they could really digor chew. (And unplanned piddles wiped up easily on the vinyl flooring;))

I hear you loud and clear. Our Abby chewed ahole in both the love seat and couch (matching set). I wasn't exactlythrilled, but thankfully I was able to flip a cushion and hide one ofthe holes with a carefully placed throw pillow.

If I were still living at home, my parents would have flipped out too.Couches are very expensive and if they've had it 20 years, it may havesome sentimental value, as silly as that may sound.

ha. i thought that i was the only one that hadthreats made at their rabbit for stew. everyone always says somethingabout cooking her. my fiancee's mother even found a recipe for rabbitstew once.

our little Kitty (mini rex) likes todig at our couch and had started to make holes but oh wellits just a couch i just went and got one of thoseking size woven blankets and covered the couch withit. they sell couch covers made of the samematerial which are kinda exspensive this blanket which isexactly the same was only like 18.00maybe you could tell your parents youll buy a cover so no one can seethe holes and that you promise to keep a close eye on thebunny when shes out ;)

Thanks guys,

Sorry i haven't replied to your replies recently i was busy with my gf's engagement ceremonies.

I bought her a bigger cage today cause it was on sale at the pet storeand i let her run about in my room and the hallway during the day and ikeep a close eye on her... she is fine she is still running around anda brat as usual. I have sprayed everything she could possibly chew withthe apple spray so hopefully she won't do anymore damage.

I think she is much happier now and i have let her out infront of myparents and they didn't really say much they told me to put her backsoon. They aren't mad at her they are more mad at me.. but what can youdo.. they will get over it i guess. It was careless on my behalf iguess to not watch her carefully. Well i have sure learned my lesson towatch her like a hawk

But thanks for all your advice and support.

Madhura :)

Maddie_20 wrote:
My rabbit nibbles has made wholes in different parts ofcouch.. and now my mom and dad are flipping!!!! I don't know what todo.. i feel so bad . My mom now says that she isn't to come out of hercage at all... but i will let her out when my parents aren't aroundwell at least for a while :(... she seems happy even in her cage buther cage isn't that big. The sad thing is the couch is 20 years oldandmy parents are super mad about something likethat!!!It was upstairs and the only person who really saw itwas me and my parents .. no one else..

I just don't get why they are so bent up about this stupid couch... ifeel so bad for my baby! she is just doing what comes natural to her...I am thinking of making her a bigger cage so that when my parents arehome and she has to be in her cage she will have more room to be in it.

I am just feeling really bad about it.., what do i do to please both my bunny and my parents..? :S

Thanks

Madhura
lol i am 20 and seeing your parents view! it is time for me to beat me over the head with the anti-granny stick.

Anyway, here it is from the rents point of view.

It may just be a 20yr old couch that looks like a pile of junk to youbut its probably something they both had to work very hard to afford.

the rabbits point of view:

ohhh what a yummy chew toy, munch, munch, munch :D

We have fence panels in our frontroom to block access to the sofas and cables this seems to work a treat...

why not offer to buy them a new couch and at the same time invest in dog bed for bun? :D

have u got pics of this little devil?

Ya i do understand where i were my parents werecoming from... i feel really bad for what happened so that is why i amgoing to save up and put a cover over the couch that way you can't eventell that anything is wrong with it... i just wish i was more carefulwith the brat so that this never happened. Well now she isn't allowedanywhere but my room, bathroom and hallway and that works fine for mecause that way i know where she is and i can keep an eye on her whenshe is out not having to worry about all the places she could possiblygo.

thanks

Madhura

Latest posts

Back