Unneutered buck acts neutered, neutered buck acts unneutered...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xKuchiki

Reaction score
I have owned Theodore for roughly 10 months. When I first saw him at the SPCA he was unneutered but friendly and outgoing. When I held him in my lap he laid down and nipped me a few times but I dismissed it, barely noticing it.

)Now, when it comes to a new animal in the house, I am an absolute criminal about the rule of "not touching your animal for at least a day''. I can't do it. I simply can't!
Theodore was no exception. I allowed him to get used to our home, the family members, and his small cage outside (please don't get mad at me, I was a very very inexperienced bun mama) before I took him out. I held him in my lap while watching TV and he ripped more then a dozen holes in my favorite pairs of shorts and was VERY aggressive and nippy despite being neutered. This persisted for months and I was getting to the point of wanting to give him up because I wanted a bun that loved me, not hated every move I made! I was puzzled... he was neutered and was friendlier when he wasn't neutered! I was crying and completely at wits end.

Now after 8 months he has FINALLY calmed down and despite the odd nip telling me "Don't hold me right now", he is an absolute character and joy to own.

Then we bought Joey. Ever since Joey had his accident in late October, (resulting in the complete blindness in one eye), more problems have sprouted up, the main one being his teeth. Now the malocclusion we have been told is because he was a pet store bun, he is considered a 'short faced' rabbit. This is from generation after generation of inbreeding. Now he has a huge abcess on his jaw, one eye, and terrible maloccluding teeth. So you see why we haven't been able to neuter him. Now Joey is an absolute joy to have. Not only is he adorable, he is outgoing, friendly, and very affectionate towards us, and of course his gaurdian Theodore.

When we bought Joey he was roughly 7 or 8 months, so a few months past puberty and he acts like a complete angel! And he's not even neutered. He shows nothing but affection towards Theodore and will not hump Theodore or grunt, lunge growl ect. or anything! He's never bitten me. Meanwhile Theo is neutered but still acts like a total buck! He's never been mean to Joey, not even when we first introduced them. The only thing he rudely does to Joey is pull random humping fits where he tries to hump any angle of Joey. This earns him a sharp NO. and a gentle tap on the nose. He doesn't do it very often but Joey doesn't very much approve.

Any help? The vet wants to do an examination and see if the SPCA actually removed /all/ of it and he wants to do some bloodwork but I'm pretty sure Theodore doesn't have any balls... and before we go spend a bajillion dollars to have some simple bloodwork done I'd like to have some advice!

Cheers,

Mackenzie :pinkelepht:

Joey is most likely behaving so well because he is not feeling well. I have a pet store rabbit with severe malocclusion who has had a very painful life because he hasvery severe dental issues and needs constant dental work.

If Joey has both a jaw and eye abscess he needs to see a very rabbit knowledeable vet who can treat both dental issues and also his abscesses. he should be on strong antibiotics for the abscesses. The most effective treatment for jaw absesses is often a combination of azithromycin (zithromax) and injectable penicillin( bicillin.) it sounds as if some dental work needs to be done also.

Right now you need to focus on Joey's medical problems.

Thanks.

Joey is naturally good-natured, and obviously his health problems are my main concern.

We constantly bring him to the vet and we have him on antibiotics and such. We always have dental work done and no offense, but your making it sound like I haven't been taking care of him and I'm focusing on my rabbits attitude -- which I only work on in my spare time. Our vet is very well known throughout the guilford area and he is very knowledgeable.

But thank you for your concern about Joey, my vet and I are handling it the best way possible.

I felt that I was just responding to the info that you posted in your thread .:)

You didn't discuss the type of treatment that he was getting so I had no way to know.
I"m glad that he is under the care of a good vet ..
I am dealing with similar issues with my little short faced inbred holland lop, Beau , soI can relate to a bunny like this...

Latest posts

Back