Unbelievable!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagadvocate

Reaction score
edit to add: *Just a little warning that what is written below is distressing*

I don't know about some people. There was a lady who had posted this ad on Craigslist:

I have a beautiful, friendly french lop who needs a new home - daughter allergic - asking a rehoming/adoption fee of $12.00.

So I was a little excited about the prospect of maybe getting this bun. So here is the email I sent her:

Hi, I am responding to your post about your French Lop that you are re-homing. I am very interested and wonder if you have any pictures.
I have two house buns that I love dearly, both have been spayed/neutered for some time now -- don't want a gaggle of babies! So if it is still available, please let me know! And if so, could you tell me how old it is, if you know the gender, where it's been living (inside or outside), and anything else you might want me to know about it.

and here is the email that I got back from her:

Due to how nasty everyone has been on craigslist, I no longer wish to get rid of my rabbits to anyone there. I'm sorry you may be nice, however I will not take that chance. I have decided to cull all of them and eat them for myself during the winter.

I can't believe that! I'm sorry that there may have been some people that were nasty to her, but I was genuine and polite. I don't appreciate her telling me of her plans for these buns now.

I hope that she just made it all up to begin with, and that there are no buns to speak of. But if it is true, I am just so mad!:grumpy:

I tell myself all the time to just stay away from Craigslist but darn if I don't always go back...:headsmack

:shock::tears2:I really really hope she made it up in the first place. How could anyone kill and eat their own pet?

Sorry she replied like that to you. :hug:

I really hope she just made it up too. People are just ridiculous sometimes.

AngelnSnuffy, sorry that it got you upset...I should have posted a warning that what she said was disturbing :(.

Sounds more like she was a breeder doing false advertising on Craigslist. She mentions other rabbits, and "culling" is a term usually used by breeders. It could very well be that she raises them for meat anyway and tries to get a few bucks by selling some of the babies on Craigslist.

This is why I don't read Craigslist at all. It's so hard to tell who is real and who isn't.

yeah I noticed that too in her reply...suddenly went from one rabbit that her daughter was allergic to, to culling etc...Jeez

I am off Craigslist for good.

lagadvocate wrote:
AngelnSnuffy, sorry that it got you upset...I should have posted a warning that what she said was disturbing :(.

Aw, thanks. That means alot. I just have a hard time with that stuff.

Yep, a warning would be good. For future reference for anyone else;).

That's why I stay away from Craigslist too.

I'm quite sure that was just a crap load of sarcasm. I think that the original post was probably legit. Unfortunately, she probably got nasty e-mails about why she was rehoming it and why she didn't check if her daughter was allergic etc etc. And then she probably got annoyed by the reaction and got mad and posted that sarcastic reply as a way to get back at the people.

If I were you though, I would e-mail her back and tell her I am sorry people reacted so badly and tell her it sounded like she loved the bunny but really had no choice to send it to another home. And then you can tell her that you highly doubt that she'd eat her bunny and that the bunny still needed a loving home to go to and that it shouldn't suffer for people's stupidity.

I'm quite sure it was a real post to re-home it so you should try to gain her confidence. :)

Actually,

re-reading it... I think she may have been e-mailed by people saying "sure I'll take it and make a nice stew with it" Sorry but we have people who are pretty cruel and though most of it is just joking, it's mightily disturbing to the owner. I think that is why she said "you may be nice but I don't want to take a chance". Probably she is scared that someone might actually harm it.

You can send her pics of your buns and tell her you really love rabbits and are a member here. Maybe that would help her see you're genuine.

Yup, this has become a common Craigslist 'hoax' post. Somebody or a group of people seem to be taking pleasure in drawing out the animal activist and HRS types (who I will addtend to complain and judge way too much on CL)and then hit them with this kind of 'it's all your fault' post.

Pay it no mind. Not real.

sas :craziness

I wouldn't be surprised if this is another Nigerian scam. They tell you they will kill the animal unless you offer more money for adoption fee. They work off your emotion.

Or its a hoax.

That last one was kind of hilarious, actually. When I used to volunteer for a rescue group, one of the other volunteers had a year old little boy, who climbed into a dog crate and shut himself in. They took pictures and posted it on the website, but I can't remember what the caption was.

I bet that parent gets some nasty e-mails from the post though.

That made me really sad. It might be a hoax, but still, how can anyone be so curel and heartless. I may have spoken out of turn, but I find it all very sad. I've never been on craigslist, and I never want too. :tears2:

Although the pics of the kids in the dog pen was pretty funny!! :p

-TK

are you sure this wasn't some sicko playing a practical joke? at least, i really really hope it was...

you should report her to the animal welfare services in your area.

You know, the pics of the kids on its own was funny. But then the reality hit methat that is what people actually do with their pets. They treat them like something that can be disposed of and traded for something much more quiet etc. It kinda made me real sad once I came to that realization... I mean, of course I know that that was the point. Instead of selling their pets, they were selling the kids. But aren't kids no different than our fur babies? And as patheticand cruel as anyone would find it to sell kids, isn't it happening every day with animals?

:(

It all is very sad...just walking into the shelter is sad. I love animals very very much and hate the endless cycle that they must endure. I just wish things weren't this way.:cry2

On a side note...my local craigslist has this lady who posts all the time about animals that have been sent to a local animal control center. They have limited time and she knows it. She doesn't work there, she just regularly checks with them and then poststhe animalson Craigslist telling about them and how to get them. A few people have flagged or bashed her, but the majority is reallysupportive about what she does.

Periodically somebody from the HRS pops on there too with a link, which is something I guess, but usually they get flagged which makes me mad.

:sigh:

Latest posts

Back