Unaltered Rabbit Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Bosley

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a 1yr old Female Lionhead, Chive, who is currently unaltered. I PLAN on getting her fixed, it's just coming up with the funds to do so. Been a rough last few months with my boyfriend loosing his job and what not! :eek:hwell:

I also have a 7yr old Male Holland Lop, Murphy, who is also unaltered. I had to take him in after his room mate, Whiskers, passed away and my Aunt really doesn't have the time for him! Plus he is mine, he's just always been an outdoor bunny at her house.

They are currently housed in the same room, in two identical cages made of NIC cubes. They are about 3 feet apart from one another. I literally JUST brought Murphy to my place yesterday... he was VERY loud last night, thumping almost all night. Which I understand, new environment and such. So today I figured I'd let him explore the room and burn off some energy so hopefully he might be a bit quieter tonight! :)

He immediately went over to see Chive, which went well! They sniffed through the bars, and Chive started to lick his face. And BAM, Murphy started humping the floor.... :lookaround So I ushered him away and he went back to explore the rest of the room and proceeded to hump me! So I gently pushed his head down. And he did it again...so back in his cage he went!

Is it possible to have them both unfixed, and settled? Or will this behavior definitely continue until I have Chive fixed? I will NOT be fixing Murphy, as I feel he is too old to do so safely.

Agreed, his humping and other hormonal behaviours will continue if he is not fixed. And unlike the risk to females of spaying late, male neutering is a much less invasive surgery and he will probably recover well from it despite his age.

If funds are a problem, I would actually neuter Murphy before saving up to spay Chive. Neutered male/intact female combos are a lot more likely to get along rather than the other way around. You've already seen how humpy Murphy is, I don't think even spayed Chive would like living with that!

I highly do not recommend keeping them in the same room at all. They will both be uncomfortable. He might start spraying as well. It is so easy for rabbits to escape Cages and Having an unwanted litter. Your doe also might start showing aggressive and territorial behavior if in the same room with him for a long amount of time. I just don't want to read another thread about an accidental litter. . . :/

Thanks for the input everyone!

I will talk to my new rabbit vet about Neutering Murphy, but when I talked to another vet they said based on his age I'd have to do blood work first, and even then it is a risky move....

I will also look into moving one of the bunnies temporarily! I appreciate the input, and knew this was the right group of people to ask. :nod

Blood work is advised to check organ function before putting any animal under anesthesia. Often with younger animals it is skipped since they are presumed healthy but it should at the very least be offered for every patient.

Blood work is advised to check organ function before putting any animal under anesthesia. Often with younger animals it is skipped since they are presumed healthy but it should at the very least be offered for every patient.

Thanks! I will definitely be contacting my vet and figuring out what I can do.

Latest posts

Back