Type of hay for Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVL

Reaction score
I had read very clearly they should be eating Timothy hay from Oxbow, which they ate okay, but my Lionhead mix (snowball)didn't eat it as much as the Lop(thelma). I switched to a Timothy meadow hay from Oxbow and they both eat it like crazy. I know Alfalfa is a no, but is this kind good permanently or do I need to slowly switch it back to pure Timothy hay?

I feed my rabbit pure Timothy hay, and I have never fed him any other kind of hay. My bunny has no problem eating timothy hay. I'm just sharing my experience.
Good luck. :)
- Bunbun71

(Incase you were wondering I can't really help you with your main question because I am basically a beginner myself! LOL! Sorry.)

I feed my rabbit pure Timothy hay, and I have never fed him any other kind of hay. My bunny has no problem eating timothy hay. I'm just sharing my experience.
Good luck. :)
- Bunbun71

(Incase you were wondering I can't really help you with your main question because I am basically a beginner myself! LOL! Sorry.)
Thanks! I mean they ate it but I could tell that snowball wasn't eating it as much as she is now with the meadow mixed in! Curious to see if its okay to leave it like that.

Thanks! I mean they ate it but I could tell that snowball wasn't eating it as much as she is now with the meadow mixed in! Curious to see if its okay to leave it like that.
Also, fairly new myself lol!

Meadow and Timothy are great! I feed Theo only timothy hay, but if he ever stopped eating it, I would swap over to a mixture of hays. The main thing you need is for your rabbit to be eating hay.

I feed meadow hay with a little bit of Timothy hay mixed in. You can feed that permanently, as long as they eat it, or course

As any rabbit owner would know, rabbits are plant eaters. They need the roughage in their diets (veggies, hay, limited fruits and supplemental amount of pellets (as adults)). Alfalfa is a no for mature rabbits because it contains too much calcium. Like babies need milk, baby rabbits need the calcium from the hay to grow. As adults they don’t need to grow anymore but they do need a substantial diet. Any hay will do. Some people prefer orchard grass and oat hay over Timothy because of allergies. There are different types of Timothy hay such as western, first, second and third cuts. 1st cut is supposed to be the riches hay a bun can get but other hays are fine too. They have hay mixed with various other things such as lavender, rose hips, marigold, mint etc. you could try some of those to give him some variety. They also sell ingredients like that, known as hay toppers) separately on bunny community websites such as binkybunny and smallpetselect. They love mixes like that and everything’s safe and all natural with tons of minerals and vitamins. Mix things up. They should be happy.

Reactions: JVL
As any rabbit owner would know, rabbits are plant eaters. They need the roughage in their diets (veggies, hay, limited fruits and supplemental amount of pellets (as adults)). Alfalfa is a no for mature rabbits because it contains too much calcium. Like babies need milk, baby rabbits need the calcium from the hay to grow. As adults they don’t need to grow anymore but they do need a substantial diet. Any hay will do. Some people prefer orchard grass and oat hay over Timothy because of allergies. There are different types of Timothy hay such as western, first, second and third cuts. 1st cut is supposed to be the riches hay a bun can get but other hays are fine too. They have hay mixed with various other things such as lavender, rose hips, marigold, mint etc. you could try some of those to give him some variety. They also sell ingredients like that, known as hay toppers) separately on bunny community websites such as binkybunny and smallpetselect. They love mixes like that and everything’s safe and all natural with tons of minerals and vitamins. Mix things up. They should be happy.
Thanks!

Back