two questions! (paper towels and alfalfa cubes)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMiniRex

Reaction score
first question:
why does my bunny like to lick paper towels? its like their another bunny and he's grooming it.

second question:
my sister got theses alfalfa cubes for her goats (they are for horses)I've been giving some flakes to the bunny as a treat cause he really likes them, do you think there safe or should i not give them to him.

Answer 1. Because rabbits like to do odd things. As long as he's just licking it, it's not a big deal. Just don't eat it, little bun! ^_^

2. Once the rabbit is grown, alfalfa isn't necessary for its diet. It contains added protein and calcium, which is great for growing babies, but that's about it. Too much calcium in an adult will cause bladder stones. Too much will also cause your bun to gain weight, and he definitely won't like the added strain on his joints and muscles. If your rabbit definitely digs hay cubes, we get these Kaytee brand compressed timothy hay cubes. :)

I've once had a bunny who liked to lick a wooden stool I had. He also liked to lick the floor before laying on it. I guess he liked the taste?

It's true that alfalfa isn't given to adult rabbits because it contains lots of calcium (long story short, rabbits don't assimilate calcium well, which means that when you give them too much, you will find white "sand" in their urines and it can lead to kidney stones). So, if it's like your rabbit's favorite thing ever and that he has no urinary problem, you can give a little bit of it to your rabbit once in a while (it's not any worse than giving a vegetable with lots of calcium in them once in a while and we all do - basil has a lot of calcium in it, for exemple). Just make sure to 'cancel' the effect by giving only vegetables with a lot of water and few calcium in them for dinner when you do.
I have no opinion about hay cubs in general as they don't exist where I live, but if it's the cube thing your rabbit likes, looking up the ones Akzholedent recommended might be worthwhile.

Pippi likes to lick my fiance's practice drum pad. The top of it is rubber, and if it's within reach, she will lick it for 20 minutes straight. The thing is nearly 20 years old (he had it since high school), so I can't imagine it tastes good. Perhaps she just likes the texture. Lol. Rabbits are definitely weird. ^_^

It's common for animals to lick things because they like the texture. Cats do it all the time. I had a cat who loved to lick used dryer sheets. She never touched them if they weren't used, and she never tried to eat the used ones. I have one now who likes to use plastic bags as beds, once he lies down he grooms the bag. He only likes the thin plastic.

@aki ok thanks :) i just looked up low calcium veggies, turns out, most of his veggies i give him are low calcium!

@Akzholeden and BlackRabbits
LOL
bunnies are crazy! ;)

I feel like that's why we keep little fluffballs as companion animals. Most of us live mundane lives as a cog in the wheel of an uncaring job, so we depend on little fluffy guys to remind us of how silly some of our human "necessities" are. ^_^

Sorry guys, I think I'm being a bit overly philosophical today. ^_^

Latest posts

Back