two questions.anyone experienced?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c101900

Reaction score
i really want to become a rabbit breeder. i have3 rabbits that i call my own. some of you may know buddy ruby anddixie. they are sweet as can be. the problem is that i dont think anyof them are the breed i was told that they are.ive seen pictures ofnetherland dwarfs and buddy and dixie dont have stumpy ears like thedwarfs ive seen. and ruby i guess could be a rex but im not sure. sheis multiple colors and quite large. i think she might weigh about 6pounds. buddy and dixie probably weigh about 3 or 4 pounds. dixie, ibelieve is mixed with rex if ruby is a rex then i know dixie is mixedwith rex because she has a stripe down her back of the same colors thatruby is. im so sorry if this is cofusing. anyway my questions are doesanyone know of any rabbit breeders near columbus ohio that have purebred rabbits so that i can buy them and start my own breeding and alsoi need as much information as i can get about breeding such as do ineed some sort of license? or is there a limit to how many breeds i canhave? also i would like to know anything any one can tell me aboutshowing a rabbit. i read all the rules and everything for it but therewere so many big words i didnt understand it. can anyone answer myneverending questions? please?

Hey! I'm only a few hours fromColumbus, Ohio :) I moved from Ohio to Pennsylvania a fewyears ago. I was downin Columbuslast weekand will be judging in Springfield and Circleville over the next couplemonths. I'll also be in Columbus for the Holland Lop Nationalshow next spring. It will be held in conjunctionwith the Ohio State Convention next May. You'll certainlywant to attend -- it's one of the largest state conventions in thenation as well as the sight for a number of national shows.

You'll need to check into your own local zoning and ordinances to seeif there are any limitations on breeding rabbits in yourarea. I currently live right in town in a commercially zonedarea -- but had rabbits before the new zoning laws took effect, so I amnot limited as far as how many rabbits I can have.

A license is not required, but all income must be claimed on yourtaxes. I claim my rabbitry as a commercial business as I alsohave judging incomeand can deduct all expenses.Smaller hobby breeders can also deduct a limited amount of expenses ifthey itemize their deductions.

Is there a particular breed you are interested in? I wouldrecommend attending some shows in your area to meet breeders and todecide on a particular breed. You can visit the ARBA websitefor show listingshttp://www.arba.net/ and willpost a membership form for you to join so you can receive a freeguidebook.

You'll find that you'll have to make a large initial investment inequipment and good breeding stock, and profit is minimal. Ispent $10,000 in rabbit related expenses last year, and only had abouta $4000 profit -- but along with our other business write offs, it doesserve to help lower our tax bracket :)

Pam

My website: http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

American Rabbit Breeders Association Membership info:

Membership in the AMERICAN RABBIT BREEDERS ASSOCIATION, INC., entitlesthe individual or family to a copy of the Official Guidebook To RaisingBetter Rabbits (free with the initial membership), the ARBA Yearbook, asubscription to Domestic Rabbits magazine, Registration, Grand Championcertification and other privileges.
Membership Fees:
Individual Adult - 1 year - $15.00 Individual Youth - 1 year - $8.00Husband/Wife (Combination) - 1 year - $20.00 1 Yr Family - $20.00 (1 or2 adults [must be spouse] ) plus $2.00 per youth
3 Yr Family - $50.00 (1 or 2 adults [must be spouse] ) plus $6.00 per youth
** ALL NON-US MEMBERSHIPS MUST INCLUDE $10.00 PER YEAR SERVICE FEE **

Name:

Youth Age:

Address:

City:

State:

Zip:

Amount Enclosed:

Referred By: Pamela Nock #806

Send to:

American Rabbit Breeders Association, Inc.
Glen Carr, Executive Director
PO Box 426 Bloomington, IL 61702

dear pam,

exactly how do i check for all the information you say i need in myarea? i actually dont live in clumbus i live in west jefferson which isabout 7 minutes from columbus.i appreciate your help.

You can look in your local phone book to get in touch with the zoning inspector (or call your county courthouse).

Pam

ps ive been to that website and looked at allthat and i understand that i have to join which i will but what i didntunderstand was all the rules and regulations i attempted to read lol

this is something i really want to do. i dontreally have a special breed that i want. i used to always love dogsvery much, but now i know im more of a rabbit persona and my kids adorethem. i also know that i dont want to be overwhelmed so id like tostart small. maybe have no more then 10 breeding rabbits. i do havethree kids to think about too.

I can certainly help to explain if you refer toany of the particular rules you don't understand. You canprint out the membership form I posted to join the ARBA.You'll receive a very informative rabbit raising guidebook as well asthe rule book and a subscription to the domestic rabbits magazine.

There are also individual breed specialty clubs. I amsecretary of the Ohio Holland Lop regional clubhttp://www.geocities.com/ohlrf/index.html

Pam

I agree that you'll want to start out small. I have 4 kids who have enjoyed the rabbits very much :)

Pam

Latest posts

Back