Two Male Bunnies-interesting bonding situation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madalynster

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping you guys can help. So I got Desmond about 4 months ago and got him fixed two months ago. He is about 7 months old, a netherland dwarf and super cute/ sweet once in a while. I was wondering why he was always having such an attitude with me, and I read around and found out that he was probably just lonely. I heard that some bunnies prefer to have a friend of their own kind. So I looked on craigslist and found a local ranch that had some lionhead dwarfs(I wanted to get one that would be about the same size as Desmond). So Desmond, My boyfriend and I went to go meet some bunnies. Desmond likes to travel in his little carrier, he was a little overwhelmed by all the bunnies there, but he seemed to like one gorgeous male that we ended up adopting and naming charlie. So we brought them home in separate carriers and have now begun the bonding process. It is still very early, but I don't know how far I can go since charlie(new one) is only two months old and not yet fixed, can I still start putting them together on neutral ground? or should I wait until charlie is 4 months old and I get him fixed? Also is it even possible for two males to bond? I really want my bunnies to be united....

I know I Kinda wrote a long story above but I really just have like 2 questions I need advice from you guys on.

1. How early can I get my new bunny fixed, he is two months old and is not showing signs of sexual maturity yet..?

2. How far can I go in the Bonding process before I get him fixed, because they really seem like they want to be together, but so far have been either separated by a gate or a cage.

I just really want to be able to put in the same cage, as the new bunny is stuck in an old one that only opens from the top, so he cant go in and out on his own :(..

Madalynster wrote:
I know I Kinda wrote a long story above but I really just have like 2 questions I need advice from you guys on.

1. How early can I get my new bunny fixed, he is two months old and is not showing signs of sexual maturity yet..?
As soon as his balls drop, and the vet feels comfortable doing the neuter. Loki's dropped when he was arround 10weeks.

2. How far can I go in the Bonding process before I get him fixed, because they really seem like they want to be together, but so far have been either separated by a gate or a cage.
I would keep them seperate until their both fixed, just incase.

I just really want to be able to put in the same cage, as the new bunny is stuck in an old one that only opens from the top, so he cant go in and out on his own :(..

Alright I guess it's time to get Charlie neutered then. Ha does anyone know how to check if his balls are dropped? he is a furry boy so its tough to see his sex at all..

I have two males and they are bonded. It's definitely possible! I actually bonded them while they were both still NOT neutered. They lived that way for years. Now, one is neutered and one is not. They still get along fine.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can wait until they are both neutered before introducing each other. But for me, it worked out well without waiting. I would wait until they are both neutered and have been bonded for a long time before putting them in the same cage though.

My "disclaimer" is that I keep them my rabbits separate cages at night. The non-neutered rabbit sometimes nips at the neutered one, and I don't trust them while I'm sleeping. Other than that, they are together all day and they get along fine.

DEFINETLY wait until the newer one is neutored to try bonding. After neutoring then wait a couple of weeks to make sure the hormones have abated. then start.

And post updates/photos, I'm so curious to hear how it goes and what you find to work during this time.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back