Two Bunnies, a Cat, and a Litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunyBun

Reaction score
I keep coming up with allkindsofquestions that I just hadn't considered as we prep for thebuns we are adopting this week.

Problem is this - We have used a corn based litter product with our catfor some time. I read that bunnies can get seriously sick ifthey injest corn products and I'm concerned that even errant pieces oflitter could pose a hazard to them (not to mention if they actuallytracked down the cat's litterbox!)

I was all set to use Yesterday's News for the bunnies litterbox andthen read some items on the internet about shards and staples beingfound in it. Decided CareFresh would probably be better

So the question is - What kind of litter will be safe to use in ourcat's litterbox that will also be okay for the bunnies to be around?

:apollo:

I think I read somewhere not to use pine because it isthought to be linked to liver damage in rabbits . . .

BunyBun wrote:
Ithink I read somewhere not to use pine because it isthoughtto be linked to liver damage in rabbits . . .

Ah, you're right.

I found this info on the HRRN site:

• Woody Pet / Equine Fresh - found at Tractor Supply Company
  • Care Fresh - found at Petsmart and Petco in the cat littersection
  • Yesterday's News - found at Petsmart and Petco in thecat litter section

I'm thinking I'll stay away from the Yesterday's News because of the chance of sharp shards in it.

I would like to use CareFresh for the bunnies but I'm skeptical it could work for our cattoo . . .

I'm supposed to be working, not posting, but what the hay. ;)

I use both a clay based litter and an organic cedar litter for the cats(I have three different litter boxes), even though the bunnies will goand occasionally dig in it. I've never seen them attempt toeat the clay-based litter, and they're not spending enoughtimein thevicinity for the cedar fumes to doharm. The mainwarningfor cedar and to alesser extent pine, is for bedding or litterincages--frequent inhalation from beingin close proximity.

Myrabbits aren't caged, so they get a little bit of pinelitter at the bottom of the box witha lot of hay ontop. I wet down and ventilate the pine for days before usingit.

I don't like Yesterday's News because I it's dark and I can't monitor poops and pees, and it doesn't smell very good.

A better bet for the bunies might be Woody Pet or bult wood stove pellets, they'retreated so there's no fumes.

sas

I just finished up a big bag of Yesterday's NEwsand I did find several pieces of stuff that was not litter.It looked like rubber and plastic and each time i changed the box Imade sure not to include those pieces in it but from now on I amsticking to Feline Pine or the generic kind of wood pellets.The smell is MUCH less, there is no quality control issue with otherthings being found in the litter, and it is much easier to scoop thewet clumps out. The whole anti-pine thing is mainlyfor shavings, not pellets.

My cousin uses Swheat Scoop for his kitty and it is made from wheat Im not sure if you can use it with bunnies or not...

I've justdiscovered that Rex can jump into the cats' oversized litterboxes andso I'm running into the same problem :?

I use World's Best, and it works really well for our householdof five cats. But it is corn based and Rex apparently likes to eat it:yuck The fact that it's clumping has me concerned, so I'll beswitching the cats' bedroom boxes to a new kind of litter.

I've used Feline Pine in the past and I really like it. It controlsodors significantly better than Yesterday's News, and the cats preferthe fine texture of Feline Pine to the large chunks of Woody Pet :dunnoThe price is about the same as World's Best.

I agree, Feline Pine is GREAT!

You can find the same kind of product by going to your local Tack& Feed place and asking for "wood pellet horse stallbedding". :) MUCH cheaper than FelinePine! :)

So Woody Pet is completely safe to use?

We are using CareFresh right now and the bunnies are doing great withit. After just a day they are using the 2 litterboxes in thecage exclusively - no droppings/pee on the floor! It's agreat product . . . I got the white and it's almost cotton-like andvery easy to see if they've peed on it. However, I can seethat the CareFresh will get to be fairly expensive so if there is amore economical alternative that would be great!

Yup, Woody Pet and similar products arecompletely safe. I used to use Carefresh too, but I switchedto wood pellet litter when I went from two bunnies to four.It's so much cheaper, and it actually works better than Carefresh too.

I have read that it is unsafe for a rabbit to beexposed to cat feces..am I right? I thought that it was a definite "no" for them to use the smae box. :shock:

angieluv wrote:
I have read that it is unsafe for a rabbit to be exposed tocat feces..am I right? I thought that it was a definite "no " for themto use the smae box. :shock:

That may be true, and I'll admit I haven't done much research on it :baghead

Personally I'm not too concerned because my cats are fed a biologicallyappropriate raw diet and only poop once every couple days. And whenthey do it's small, hard and odorless. Since I clean out the boxes on adaily basis, I figure we're pretty safe :dunno

Latest posts

Back