twitching bunny, help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Savage

Reaction score
My small rabbit was twitching several times while laying on me like she was having a seizure or hiccups! Is this normal, help me please I am scared...she stopped as soon as made her stand up.

If it happens every once in a while but when it happens she is literally shaking that is more of a seizure like behavior and i would call the vet just to safe. But sometimes my bunny twitches when i touch him on his ear or nose and that is normal. Also make sure she is not cold!!!!!

Ok, I read that they can get hiccups after I posted that... it hope that is all it was. She seemed to not be concerned, ha.... but I was and still am a little! I hope my vet takes emergency visits if anything bad does happen. :cry2

By looking at that video I think she was either doing what my baby did (although mine was sitting up and I believe awake, cause they, so I read, can sleep with their eyes open) or your bunny was dreaming... it is scary, but I don't know the actual answer, this is just my hopes!

I am sorry is your bunny as boy or a girl, I called the bunny a girl...also if it is a boy, at that age how did you find out because I think mine is a girl, but I could be wrong. She is only like 9 to 10 weeks old now and I have been buying her pink items (brush, comb, bowl, and etc.)

I'm sure it was just hiccups. A seizure would be more shaking & maybe passing out momentarily.

If Sweetheart turns out to be a boy, he won't mind the pink items.

I think she was awake I think, she was hoping around like normal, lay down, started doing that little hiccupy thing. Then looked at me and hopped off again :S

I think hiccups makes sense. My boyfriends Bloodhound Dog has seizures, and it's really scary to watch, and it takes him ages to get over them :(

Mines a girl :) she's about 13 weeks now I think, as she was 8 when I got her, I was told by the pet shop that she was a girl, they've always been good at sexing the hamsters and g-pigs Ive had from them, so I trust they've got it right with her to. Ha!
Oh and actually the vet confirmed it to when I took her for her vaccinations! :)

Yeah I wouldn't mind if mine was a boy, I just had been thining and believing it was a girl so it would be a relief if she was... the pet store told me she was a girl but it is so hard to tell. I got her at about 8 weeks too and now have had her 1 week...time is going fast!

Bunnies in the United States don't need vaccinations. In the UK they have Myzi and one other vaccine that are essential for bunnies.

The gray bunny looked like it had hiccups, which are fine. More serious twitching would be a seizure, which is an emergency situation.

The gray bunny looked like it had hiccups, which are fine. More serious twitching would be a seizure, which is an emergency situation.

Yeah, I watched several youtube videos of hiccups and they look very similiar to what she did. I also watched one on a rabbit having a seizure (can be easily found on youtube) and it looked scary! She is just so small that the hiccups looked worse than the others (she was shaking harder). :shock2:

Latest posts

Back