Tumor in Louie?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinnyBoBinny

Reaction score
Hello everyone, how are all of you?

I have a problem. My rabbit, Louie, has been shedding/moltinglately, and when he sheds his coats, he stops eating pellets for a fewdays. However, yesterday as I fed them before bed, I noticeda very awkward puff of fur over his left shoulder that didn't look likehis normal shedded chunks. I took him out and feltit, and it was a small lump. I can't help but wonder if himnot eating has something to do with this lump...he only eats timothyhay right now (and a few pellets), but that's how he normally eatsduring a big shed.

Based on experience, what do you think the lump is? It's notperfectly round, and seems to be able to be moved around abit. It doesn't hurt him when I touch it. Could itbe a tumor? Are rabbit tumors normally malignant? Ican't do anything about it today because I work and his clinic isn'topen, but I plan on making an appointment tomorrow. In themean time, does anyone have any advice or information? Thankyou so much!

MobsterVinny

Like with humans I wouldn't like to guess what alump is. I hope its nothing. I suppose it could be a tumor, it mighteven be a cyst, I couldn't say. A vet would need to make a diagnosis.

When you take him to the vets please let us know how you get on.

I'll be prayingthat it is nothing!

Vickie

Welcome back, VinnyBoBinny,

Nice to see you again, but I'm sorry to hear about Louie's lump. Iagree with Vickie, wouldn't want to take a guess as to it being atumor, cyst, benign or malignant. I'd take him straight to the vet.

If you have some NutriCal (a dietary supplement for cats and dogsusually found ina pet supply store), give him an inch (as it comes in atube like toothpaste) to hold him over if he's not eating his food.

Do keep us posted, please.

Will say a prayer for our little buddy.

-Carolyn

I think I read, Vinny, something like cysts movearound, whereas tumors don't, vice versa, or some such, but don't holdme to that.

In any event, yeah, don't mess with it, and get competent veterinaryattention ASAP. Whichever it is can only get larger with time.

Buck

can Cryst kill??? because i am figureing out HowMissey died and i found a lump also on her.. but on her left hind leg,and it was Massive.. my parnets wouldn't take her in because they feltif it is a tumor and it was that big (nickle size) it would havealready spred throughout her body. it was a hard lump..

Louie's lump isn't hard, but sort of dense andsquishy. I've had tons of experience with rat tumors, butnever with rabbits, and Louie's fur is so thick that I have a hard timetelling exactly how big the lump is. What worries me most iswhere the lump is-above his shoulder and on his neck-could that havesomething to do with a rabbit's lymph nodes (if they even have saidglands)? In any case, I'm calling tomorrow to try and get anemergency appointment.

I hope it's not anything terrible.

MobsterVinny

Let us know what the doctor says, MobsterVinny.

I'll definitely be thinking and praying for the little mon.

-Carolyn

It might be a abcess, one of mine had one on theshoulder. It would need to be removed surgically.So either way you would only know by having the vet removeit. It could also be a fatty tumor.

Ed

Latest posts

Back