tufts of fluff on bunnys bum, mattes....should I be concerned

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherv

Reaction score
Since I've had my bunny, since May, he's used a regular rectangle pet litter pan. With the pellet litter. I clean it out every to every other day. I've noticed as his winter fur has grown in he has tufts of fur on his bum and little mats....I assume some mats are normal. I'd rather not give him a bath (setting him water just covering his bum). Was going to see if the vet could brush them out or something when I bring him in for his nail clipping. He hates being touched on his bum or being picked up in general and really struggles. So this is why I bring him to the vet for nail clipping, less stress on both of us and it's all done in like 3 mins. for rather cheap. Should tufts and mattes be a concern? His poops are healthy looking, and no actually poops is stucked or smooshed to his bum.

Mats can happen on any medium-long haired bunny, and tufts are fairly common for most bunnies especially during shedding. It can be hard for bunnies to groom their tail area if they have very thick fur or are overweight. You can take him to the vet and get the fur around his groin sheared if you can't brush the mats out yourself. Since you're already taking him in regularly for nail trims, you might as well.

It would be nice if you could to get it shaved or carefully clipped with scissors. If they are outside rabbit and they get any poo stuck to the fur it could attract flies and fly strike so if thats happening I would definitely clip it off or shave it. Would be easiest to have the vet do it or get some one to help you.

Latest posts

Back