Tsc

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola123

Reaction score
Hey guys its me again

I was just going on a pet budget, so i decided to buy items in bulk. I found this one website called Tractor Supply Canada. I was going to buy these things for use with my hamsters and rabbit. The hay and softwood pellets for rabbit, and softwood shavings for both hamsters and rabbit:

http://www.tscstores.com/35LB-CONDENSED-SOFTWOOD-PELLETS-P3441.aspx#.VACjv14VxuY

http://www.tscstores.com/78L-PREMIUM-QUALITY-SOFTWOOD-SHAVINGS-P3442.aspx#.VACk7F4Vxub

http://www.tscstores.com/35LB-CONDENSED-SOFTWOOD-PELLETS-P3441.aspx#.VACjxF4VxuZ

Are these items safe for pet use? I am going to use the softwood shavings as bedding and the softwood pellets as litter. and of course the hay for the rabbit.
Will the hay be a legit 50 pounds of hay, or will it be less?

The softwood pellets should be okay to use as litter. How old is your rabbit? I would hesitate to get the hay cubes unless your rabbit is still young. Also, if he doesn't like them you're stuck with a lot of cubes, unless you know someone with horses.

Thats a good point :shock2:

my rabbit is 1 and a half years old. Right now she is on alfalfa, which i know is bad. if i was considering changing to timothy, though, i thought i would do it slowly so i thought timothy+alfalfa would be the perfect option.

I will call TSC and see if i can have like a cube to test out.

Anyway, are softwood shavings fine?

I wouldn't be using shavings, they can be dusty and the phenols in the pine can cause respiratory issues. The pellets are fine though.

I use the horse stall pellets from TSC for my rabbit's litter box. They work fine and are very inexpensive. I don't think rabbits need bedding if they are litter trained so I wouldn't even use the wood shavings for them.

I can't tell what's in the soft wood shavings, but you shouldn't use any kind of pine or cedar bedding for any small animal. It causes respiratory issues. Aspen shavings are safe, though they can tend to be dusty causing the same problems. Many people use the wood stove pellets, I use a paper based cat litter pellets for my rabbits litter box. It keeps the smell down nice. :)
Though for the hay, you'll want to stay away from alfalfa, unless your bunny is still a baby.

Pellets work better.aside from the health issues you avoid with pine shavings, its much cheaper and easier to handle. Is supper absorbent and holds oder well.I only use a single hand full in my buns litter box and cover it with hay so that the urine flows through the grass blades and your rabbit isn't sitting on direct urine and litter.

don't get the hay cubes! they are compressed cubes of hay about 1.5inches all around, very similar to the Kaytee Timothy hay cubes. i have gotten the Kaytee ones for my rabbit and she didn't like them, nor did my guinea pigs when we had them. at my tractor supply, i but the Cozy 'n Fresh wood pellet bedding for her litter box. she gets a handful of that in the corner and shavings on top of it. i have been using shavings her whole life and i havent had a problem with them. you can also use wood stove pellets, which people also use for horses. ;)

Latest posts

Back