Treat Suggestions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

featpete

Reaction score
Hi, I hear people saying that they give their rabbits treats on a fairly normal basis. I want to consider giving my bunny treats as a way of telling him "good job" but don't want to give him anything too unhealthy. What do you all give yours at treats?

Also, do any of you give treats that you can buy at pet stores (like Yogies and what not)?

fresh mints or fresh basil,i also give a tiny piece of whatever fruit is in season,apple,peach,apricot,watermelon,orange,blueberries,oats are also loved around here..but as u prob already know all these need to be given in moderation...that means an itty bitty piece...i dont give store bought treats to the buns.
i also give them fresh apple twigs and leaves.
some people give a cheerio or a piece of mini wheat (not the frosted kind)..i dont give the cereal but i know a couple people who do...just be careful with what u do feed ur bun..if u see a change in their poop ..then ur bun obviously cant handle it.:)

Definately a small chunk of fruit is a fabulous treat. I don't know a bunny that would turn down a juicy grape or a chunk of banana. :)

I don't ever buy shop bought treats because they are just so unhealthy (mostly).

Of course make sure you check a safe fruit and veg list before you give your rabbit anything new eg. apple seeds are toxic to them and must be removed, they cannot have citrus peel etc. etc.

Jen

Fresh fruits and some favorite veggies are an excellent treat! Store bought items tend to contain lots of chemicals and sugar that a bun can do better without. Yogies are awful ... bunnies don't even digest dairy so Yogies should be avoided completely! Some places sell freeze dried fruit and those are ok but fresh is always a better, yummier option :) Dried fruits are ok too but sometimes there is added sugar and even if there isn't the sugar is concentrated in a dried fruit so serve a smaller portion than you would a fresh fruit. Some buns even love a pinch of rolled oats (like Quaker oats, but not the quick cook kind). Find out what your bun likes and introduce small portions, slowly, to make sure the bun tolerates it ok.

I prefer fresh or dried fruits (ones without sugar added). My buns love almost any type of dried fruit, though they're much pickier about fresh.

I can't really recommend any pet store treats. Fruit is yummy and much healthier for them!

I so love this site!

My gorgeous boy Harry has at last been found and laid to rest this morning, which I am completely devastated about.

Thankfully I have 2 new rabbits to keep me occupied and so I'm checking out anything new on the food lists.

Toby and Mel are loving blueberries - I only gave a few, baby plum or cherry tomatoes, babycorn, flat, romaine and little gem lettuce and conference pears. Toby won't touch galia melon, but Mel's disappeared!!

They are out in the garden during the day and the grass is coming through nicely for them. I also pick dandelions from out in the middle of nowhere for them.

I don't feed shop-bought 'treats' as they are generally full of crap that rabbits just shouldn't have and limit sweet fruits so that they don't get them every day or in excess. Have never tried dried fruit and I'm glad to read that grapes are ok, (I also have a Guinea Pig and have heard contradicting advice regarding grapes so don't give him any).

I do have one question - does anyone know if privet is ok?? Not that I am going out collecting it for them, but I keep stick insects and Toby was tucking into the privet last night while I was cleaning the tank out...!!

I have generally believed that animals are far more clever than us and tend to let them choose what they can and can't eat, as many will not eat anything that is toxic to them (but I have always cored apples and that was before I knew the pips were toxic!) so I'm kind of trusting Toby's rabbit-instinct in thinking the privet is ok....? I don't grow any at home so there's no access to it unless I'm sorting out the sticks.

Any comments or suggestions that anyone has are always very welcome - I'm learning stuff all the time! Everything has changed quite dramatically since I last had rabbits, about 15 years ago!!

D-M :wave:

Don't forget the carrot tops! My bun loves them as much, if not more, than the carrots themselves. Also cilantro, celery tops. But a chunk of apple or banana brings him running!

Latest posts

Back