Traveling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmits_mom

Reaction score
hey I was just wondering about everyone's opinionsabout traveling with their buns. Martin and I are going tothe beach with my family (a 7 hour drive) for a little less than aweek, and are not sure if we shouldbring Emmitalong.

The Beach house is air conditioned, so he won't getoverheated. He also doesn't seem to mind car rides, and hiscage could fit in snuggly in the backseat...We're also not sure how weshould keep him either-in is carrier or in his cage. We'llhave to stop every few hours and let him have a potty break in hiscage.

We're afraid to leave him for so long because he requires so much dailyattention, and seems to thrive on it. Martin's roommate whohas a bunny downstairs could feed him, but Emmit probably wouldn't lethim pick him up or anything.We also have another option:Martin's youngest brother who lives in town loves Emmit, and maybe hecould come by a few times to keep him company.

We're just worried, because everytime we leave him for a day longventure, he gets so upset...not necessarily at us, but I think hereally needs companionship. It would be a long drive, but itcould be worth it so we won't have to worry about him, and so he won'thave to be lonely and distressed.

Please any info, thanks!

-Carrie, Martin, and Emmit

PS: sorry for making this so long...we just got back from a trip today to Hershey Park-fun and rainy!

I suspect YOU will have a more relaxed vacation ifyou bring Emmit along. We often bring our rabbits alongbecause we then are assured their care is proper and we won't worry asmuch.

In the long run, Emmit will probably fare better as well. My opinion is to take him along.

Buck

If he's that attached to you, take him. Aslong as where you are staying allows rabbits! I'm sure himjusttravelling in his cage will be sufficient, I know that myboys enjoy car rides much more if they are able to see and not shut ina dark box or carrier. It will give you a much more relaxed weekknowing exactly how Emmit is doing.

This is a timely thread for me as we willbe doing some traveling over the next month or so and I'm apprehensiveabout leaving my "baby" at home.

I'm looking forward to the variety of the responses that willbe posted here (although I'm biased in favor of Buck and Laura'sopinions ... ;)).

Hi EmmitsMom,

I'd definitely take him. Even if I had to sneak him in thecabinyou're staying in. I've doneit.As long as they're in a cage, most places don'tmind anyway, but I don't think I'd take the chance. I don'tmean to encourage you to break the rules, but I make exceptions forrabbits.

You don'thave to stop for potty breaks for Emmit along theway as long as he's got his travel cage and an area to poop,etc.

Since he doesn't mind riding in the car, you're half-way through yourbiggest hurdle. Just make sure the air conditioningdoesn't get too coldfor him in the house. I like tokeep Tucker in a different roomthan the air conditionedroom.

-Carolyn

I would definitely bring Emmit. That way he'snot stresssed from you being gone and you and your family can enjoyyour vacation-worry free. With Emmit along the only thing you'll haveto worry about is having enough film in the camera to capture all thatcuteness.

Tina

"I'd definitely bring Apollo."

Ummmm...Tina??

Before you bring Apollo, I'd suggest you make sure there isn't a sizeand weight limit on the plane or whatever means of transportation he'dbe taking. ;)

-Carolyn

Carolyn,he not that big lol. We will be driving to Chicago in August for mysister's wedding. Luckily I have a really big car lol.

Apollo is a doggie in a bunny suit lol

Tina

Just be careful on some bridges. I thinkthey havea limit to how many tons can go overthem.

-Carolyn

My sister said I'm going to have to book him his own motel room LOL

She is coming down in 2 weeks. I can't wait to see her face when she sees him LOL

Tina

Are you going to breed Apollo?

We could have another episode of The Night Of the Lepus...amovie that was once made whereas Giant Rabbits almost took over theWorld.

I'm beginning to wonder if Apollo was the rabbit that attacked the guy in the shed, or maybe that was Mocha or Sherman.

-Carolyn

Megan could very well be the star of that movie,she's very evil...lol. She looks sweet and innocent but she'll attackalmost anything lol.

That's Right! It could've been Megan!! I forgot about her 'tude.

-Carolyn

All I did was try to pet her and she jumped up andbit me...*cries* she's MEAN! lol. She can run through the city bitingpeoples heads off and eating buildings...lol.

Believe it or not when we got Apollo &Athena, it was so they could be pets first, show bunnies second andbreed them. I've given it alot of thought. Losing Athena hurts. Seeingthat empty cage hurts too. So I have made up my mind. I called thebreeder I got them from. Next April Apollo is going to get not one buttwo girlfriends. An all white like him and a light gray like Athena. Wemay be getting another male too. A steel gray or black.

So the monster bunns may invade your town next summer lol

Tina

haha I'll be careful then, but I'm pretty sure it'll be your big buns running away from Megan lol.

I certainly do :) She bites and growls and grunts, and charges at ya, and she chases mice....lol. But, I love her anyway :) :D

Shechases mice. Now I know Apollo would be scared. He's scared of the fishat the pet store LOL. Megan is totally adorable. It's hard tobelieve she has that much attitude lol.

Tina

Thanks to everyone for all of yoursuggestions. As always, you are all very helpful. Ilove the conversation going on as well! Sounds like Megan isgoing to have a field day biting people, and Apollo is going to havefun making new friends next year. YAY to all!

I think Martin and I have decided to bring Emmit along. Itmay be a long car ride, but hopefully Emmit will sleep most of the waythere like I do.

Our beach house will certainly be comfortable for a rabbit cage, and wecan turn the AC to a comfortable level for our little cutiepie. I'm sure the rest of my family will love to see himsince I talk about him so much.

Anyone been to the Outer Banks? That's where we're going, and this is our 17th year in a row! I can't wait!

-Carrie,Martin, and Emmit

Latest posts

Back