Trashing the cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinnabun121212

Reaction score
Okay so I've had my Cinnabun for a week now, all is great until I put her in her cage at night and she does not like it LOL! She will grab at the bars and try like crazy to get out -- she actually escaped the 2nd night as I didn't lock the cage properly LOL.
Can anyone assure me as time goes on she will get used to this routine?? She has a litter pan in there (which she is using), tons of hay and a nice microfiber mat she can lay on which almost covers the cage (she loves laying on another one out of the cage) and use a little newspaper to fill in the gap. Would covering her at night help reduce her urge to "get out" and maybe chill out?

You could try doing a night time feeding right as you go to bed and put her in for the night. Then she'll be busy eating and will be too busy to put up a fuss.

how big is the cage? does she have any toys in there?

rabbits tend to be most active late at night and early in the morning (hours when she's likely to be locked in the cage) and they do a lot of their sleeping during the day. if she's in a store-bought cage (as opposed to a NIC condo or an x-pen setup), she's probably pretty bored and cramped at night and there's not going to be room for enough toys to keep her occupied.

At night I do lure her in the cage with some fresh hay and sometimes a few nibbles of veggies. She stays content until it's gone LOL.

Unfortunately the cage is not very big 18x30 and I don't have any toys in there, just a litter pan and overstuffed hay rack. I am looking into building a bigger cage for her very soon.

What type of toys do they like? I have tried cardboard rolls, a plastic ball with a bell, also offered her a paper bag but she doesn't seem too interested.

I have baby toy connectors attached the sides of my buns cage, she likes to rattle those around. My other bun loved toilet paper rolls in her cage. Some buns like cardboard egg cartons and some cat toys. It might just take her some time to play with the toys.

Could you get her like a playpen to go around her cage, so she could just stay in that instead of being locked up in the cage? Like she could use her cage as a homebase kind of thing, with food and potty, but she could have some extra room to play in at night. If you put her in a pen at night, then you could get her a cardboard box to play in and on.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-States-Superyard-Xt-Gate/8457890

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14042435?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=13687714150&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Those are the x-pens that most of us use. I have the first one. Those two happened to be at walmart, you don't have to get them there of course, but it gives you an idea.
I think she would like to have something like that. If she is bored at night then something nice to run around in and play.

Exercise pens come in 8 2-ft sections, but you could fold 2 of the 8 & have a 2x4 ft area, if space is a problem. But made into a 4x4 area, there's room to go inside to visit & play.

To protect the floor, put down a plastic tarp. If holes start to be made, cover the tarp with flattened cardboard boxes.

Last edited:
I used anti-fatigue mats under the cages and I find it works well because I can wipe them off and rearrange them as I please.

My two also trashed their cages this morning, I think they're trying to tell me something. The one will stay calm in his cage but when Phoenix wants out, she will rattle the crap out of her cage! It actually sounds like I'm beating someone in here! I found food worked to distract her as well. If not pellets, more hay, or salad works! :goodluck

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-rabbit-chewing-cage.asp

Adding a pen is a good idea, she's just sating her opinion on being shut in a small space with nothing to do in bunny language. Ratating toys and adding extra space should help.

If a pen isn't possible is there somewhere easy to bunny proof she could be at night eg a corridor / cupboard / bathroom?

Both mine spend the whole night scratching and chewing at whatever they can. I have 2 that are caged separately and are only in the cage when I sleep or go to work. I must assume with mine they are lonely and bored since they get so much time out of the cage. I even try to wear mine out before bed and give them food in there with no luck stopping them from being active while in there. Seems like normal bunny behavior. Just try to give her something to destroy safely at night. Good luck!

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. One of those pens wouldn't fit into the area she's in but I surely can connect some grids with ties (2 high) and put it around her cage area at night ... I think that would make her very happy :thumbup.

I am a bit worried as Monday I will have to take her with us on a 2.5 hour trip to my sister's for Christmas, I know she is NOT going to be happy in her cage but will sit next to one of us for the ride and once there plan to set up a little enclosure for her. I'll bring some extra treats for the ride ;).

Latest posts

Back