Trainee Vet Super Ego

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizza

Reaction score
So, I got my little bunny Gidget out last night for some cuddles on the lounge before I went to bed, and as usual he poops all over me lol

To my surprise there were a few little wriggly worms in there! Poor little guy.

So I get up this morning and call my normal vet's office and a trainee vet picks up the phone. I said that I needed to bring Gidget in as he has worms. What does she say to me? "Oh, rabbits don't really get worms, its very unusual. Yeah, it's not something that they get, it couldn't be worms."

I just said it is definitely worms, Rocky has had them before and they are definitely wriggling. So can I just make an appointment? What does she say then? "Well, I just did a course on rabbits as I am a trainee vet and they dont get them, it is very uncommon."

Grrr I was so angry! What doesn't she understand about they are wriggling around in his freshly laid poop? I just thought I would have a little vent, I will also be having a word to my vet about what she said. She was quite rude :mad:

I will bring some wriggly worm poop in for her so she can have a look.

People who don't know what they don't know are a problem.

I assume the worms came from being in contact with an area where there are wild rabbits around. I hope you can keep this from happening again by sprinkling the area frequently with food-grade diatomaceous earth.

So did you get an appointment? If you did, what meds did you get?

I ask because my rescues whether they were indoors or outdoors come with worms. It's a common occurrence here.

I would make an appointment with the NON-trainee vet and make sure that that vet teaches the Trainee vet about rabbits. :p

Nela wrote:
I would make an appointment with the NON-trainee vet and make sure that that vet teaches the Trainee vet about rabbits. :p

Yeah that 100X over...

Little Gidgey went to the non trainee vet on Monday and got a dose of something, I actually didn't ask what it was, silly me. It's the same thing rocky had when he had worms. We will be going back in for a second dose in about 2 weeks so I will ask him what it is called then.

I chickened out! I didn't say anything about the trainee lol He said he hasn't seen a lot of cases, but I just assume that a lot of people just don't get it treated.

Poor little Gidget has a sprained ankle as well! I have no idea how he did it but he is cradling it a lot. He should be ok but if he doesn't start walking on it in the next few days, back to the doctor we go.

I think he came with worms, I have had him for a couple of months and I am not sure what condition his parents were in or if they were treated and so forth. It hasn't been a problem since with Rocky so I don't think there is an environmental problem at my house.

I hope his foot gets better! I wont call for an appointment on a Sunday, I don't want to be told that Bunnies don't get sprained ankles :p

Was is Pinworms? Ripley had that back in April and our vet told me alot of peopel opt to not treat it, but if Ripsters wasn't eating well (which he didn't seem to be) then we could treat it. Which of course, we did as I wanted him eating better and we really didn't want worms in her.. :p

It's hard to reason with someone that knows they are right. I read somewhere about "casting pearls before swine". Or maybe it was mind over matter--"I don't mind 'cause you don't matter."

I think it can also be a matter of how people view rabbits. Many see them as livestock so they are not "worth" medicating or taking to the vet. We see them as beloved family memebers.

It was a conversation I had with my vet up-front at our first meeting. I wanted to know the BEST options for my rabbits, not necessarily what most people do. It has gone well since we are on the same page.

Yep, it was pin worms. Poor little bub! He is fine now I have seen any more of them, I will treat him again at the end of the week just to be sure :) It was only a mild case thankfully :)

I don't know what her thought pattern was, everything gets worms even kids. I will just make sure I don't call on a Sunday again lol

If I see lots of them in droppings I treat them just to be safe, but otherwise I don't. It doesn't really matter though. It's not so much a matter of how people view rabbits either. A lot of great owners believe in not worming unless the rabbit is experiencing issues (possibly worm related possibly not) simply because it's not always best to put chemicals into our rabbits, even if they are "safe". The worms eventually become immune to dewormers, an example is safeguard. It's overuse leads to worms becoming resistant. Rabbits will likely always have a few worms, but they won't necessarily show up in droppings. They don't harm the rabbits unless they are running rampent in your rabbit.

No, but I find de to not always be 100% affective on worms unless you feed it daily. Though it is much better to use then dewormers with chemicals, or at least safer. I'm just not a fan of unecesary medications/drugs and believe people overuse them too often. If the worms are too bothersome then try for natural dewormers like de.

If you can spread d e outside where wild rabbits are, it should reduce their infestations, reducing the chance that the pet rabbits will get worms from the wild ones' droppings.

I'm not big on chemicals either. The automatic giving of flea meds isn't something I;d ever be willing to do.

The thought of worms or fleas or any of the ickies feeding on my babies is upsetting to me. Blach. I also don't like to give drugs if it can be avoided, so I just avoid them being on the ground. Problem solved (mostly). I did treat one round of antiparacitics when Becky was having so much head tilt to prevent the others from catching the EC from her (they all play together and use two of the group litter boxes)

Latest posts

Back