Tragic bunny story :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBun

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and really hope someone can help after a very upsetting day...

Two weeks ago our cat literally dragged in to the house a tiny pet bunny. It was awful. We managed to get the bunny off our cat and she seemed very scared but unhurt. We took her to the vets who said she was ok and not microchipped. They said she was only 4-6 weeks old. Sadly they didn’t look at her long due to CV and we couldn’t go in to the room with them.

We posted on social media, put up posters and fliers through doors of local houses assuming someone would soon claim their missing bunny but nobody did. We don’t live in a big village and nobody knew anything about it. All very strange.

We borrowed a neighbours hutch and run and although she didn’t eat for the first 24 hours she then did. We fed her hay, dandelions and junior Burgess pellets. Sometimes the occasional raspberry leaf. I kept assuming someone would call to collect her but nobody did.
She was gorgeous and such a gentle soul we then became excited that she could be ours to keep...
During the day she was put in her run with water and shelter and locked up at night in her hutch which I covered with a towel to make her feel safe (read that helped them feel secure?)
She had hay, shavings, water and dandelions in her hutch over night. She was eating and pooing well.

Yesterday I fed her a small piece of carrot and some celery leaves which she ate. Maybe this was wrong but I googled and it said this www ok?

I did notice she was very placid and would sit on the children’s knees for ages. I assumed she was just quite a quiet soul... However with hindsight maybe she was too placid and quiet :-(

Tragically though this morning she was dead with her legs in the air. It was such a horrific and upsetting shock. We have all cried nearly all day.

I really tried my best to look after her properly but feel I have done something wrong. The children were always monitored with her and were very kind and gentle with her. I am just going round and round trying to work our what happened... maybe a scare but then her cage was covered... or was it her diet... I didn’t see her eat much hay but was quick to eat dandelions. Maybe this was too much for her?
I feel so shocked and upset. She was our little unexpected ray of light during these difficult times. Wondering if anybody can suggest what may have happened. Thank you in advance.

Hello, I am new to this forum and really hope someone can help after a very upsetting day...

Two weeks ago our cat literally dragged in to the house a tiny pet bunny. It was awful. We managed to get the bunny off our cat and she seemed very scared but unhurt. We took her to the vets who said she was ok and not microchipped. They said she was only 4-6 weeks old. Sadly they didn’t look at her long due to CV and we couldn’t go in to the room with them.

We posted on social media, put up posters and fliers through doors of local houses assuming someone would soon claim their missing bunny but nobody did. We don’t live in a big village and nobody knew anything about it. All very strange.

We borrowed a neighbours hutch and run and although she didn’t eat for the first 24 hours she then did. We fed her hay, dandelions and junior Burgess pellets. Sometimes the occasional raspberry leaf. I kept assuming someone would call to collect her but nobody did.
She was gorgeous and such a gentle soul we then became excited that she could be ours to keep...
During the day she was put in her run with water and shelter and locked up at night in her hutch which I covered with a towel to make her feel safe (read that helped them feel secure?)
She had hay, shavings, water and dandelions in her hutch over night. She was eating and pooing well.

Yesterday I fed her a small piece of carrot and some celery leaves which she ate. Maybe this was wrong but I googled and it said this www ok?

I did notice she was very placid and would sit on the children’s knees for ages. I assumed she was just quite a quiet soul... However with hindsight maybe she was too placid and quiet :-(

Tragically though this morning she was dead with her legs in the air. It was such a horrific and upsetting shock. We have all cried nearly all day.

I really tried my best to look after her properly but feel I have done something wrong. The children were always monitored with her and were very kind and gentle with her. I am just going round and round trying to work our what happened... maybe a scare but then her cage was covered... or was it her diet... I didn’t see her eat much hay but was quick to eat dandelions. Maybe this was too much for her?
I feel so shocked and upset. She was our little unexpected ray of light during these difficult times. Wondering if anybody can suggest what may have happened. Thank you in advance.
She was a baby , and probably still needed moma's milk , bunnies need milk till they are around 6 weeks

How very sad 😢 The vet never told me that. They said they are independent from around 7-10 days and no longer need milk ☹️ she said they love dandelions and hay but not to feed too much pellets as that makes them fat.
I feel so sad about her.

How very sad 😢 The vet never told me that. They said they are independent from around 7-10 days and no longer need milk ☹ she said they love dandelions and hay but not to feed too much pellets as that makes them fat.
I feel so sad about her.
Wow , your vet clearly knows nothing about bunnies!

How very sad 😢 The vet never told me that. They said they are independent from around 7-10 days and no longer need milk ☹ she said they love dandelions and hay but not to feed too much pellets as that makes them fat.
I feel so sad about her.
Hi, I am very sorry to hear that is a very sad story. I think if she survived on your food two weeks it means that wasn't reason she died probably. Also you don't actually know her age maybe she was older than 4 weeks? Rabbits usually nurse until babies are 6-8 weeks but they start eating solid food from 4-5 weeks in addition to mother's milk.
First thought since everything looked good and she died suddenly I would think it could be a virus, Myxomatosis or RHD since she wasn't vaccinated most likely, and she was housed outdoors so she could get it easily from flies or birds, or something scared her in the night, it is hard to say indeed.

Again, sorry for what happened, you did so much saving her and you had good time together, you will remember best of her.

Thank you both of your for your responses. I feel so frustrated with our vets. It is a big practice and has always been wonderful with our cat and our dog but our bunny was seen to so quickly. No mention of vaccines although I think at this time due to Covid they are only performing emergency procedures. I assumed we could have her vaccinated as soon as lockdown was slightly lifted. Sadly it sounds like this was too late.
After reading and reading, I am certain it sounds like she had contracted RHD. The past 24 hours she was lethargic and quieter. This may sound naive but I assumed this was because she was very young and growing a lot as she was still eating and pooing normally, so wasn’t too worried.
I feel so so sad that she wasn’t vaccinated in time and thank you Zuppa for your kind words. A friend works at a pet rescue centre and also said very similar to you.
She was only with us a short amount of time but she will be very sadly missed. 😢

I feel so sad about her.
Yah that’s not correct, which is not your fault! You take an animal to the vet and listen to what they say, they should know. I’m the kind that would call the vet and tell them what happened, explain what they were fed and ask what could’ve happened. Was it an exotic vet? Most small animal vets have no experience with bunnies sadly. I know it’s hard, I’ve had loved animals die. I’ve rescued baby animals that have passed as well. If you guys loved having a bunny, when your ready, adopt another one. There are always bunnies, always kits that need homes. Id just do some breed research and when your ready... of course any questions this group is amazing 🥰

I am very disappointed with the vet and will be getting in touch to complain. We also have an elderly dog and a rescue cat. The vets have been great with them but were pretty useless with our bunny. I hate to think of us doing or not doing something right for her.
Although we only had her a short time she was very loved. I have had two children in floods of tears today about her.
The more I read the more I am sure it was RHD. She was quiet and lethargic on her last day which ties in with the disease too.
All very sad and upsetting. Thank you for your helpful post Laura. Once we have come to terms with what has happened we will certainly look in to rescue bunnies. I had already been in touch with a charity to enquire about a companion for our girl. 😢
Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back