Toys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that sometimes, they like stuffed animals -- is this true, or is it bad for them because of the stuffing (and possibly a squeaker) on the inside?

Both Scone and Natasha had/have their stuffed friends. However, both ignored stuffies without uppy ears. Apparently, the upstanding ears mean "rabbit" to them.

Scone and Borders Bunny:
thumb2_7648_141432_150000002.jpg

Natasha and Marge:
natasha_2607-8621.jpg

I see a lot of cool cat toys that I think would be great for my bun! Would catnip be harmful to my rabbit, even though it is a type of grass? Does it have the same effect on the rabbit as it does with the cat?

I tend to avoid cat toys with cat nip. Most of them are soft which means they can be chewed and ingested, but also I have no idea if catnip is harmful or not :p You're better off stuffing a toilet paper tube with hay, lol.

I have no idea if catnip is harmful or not

That's an interesting question - I did some checking, and while there were some which said that catnip's just a variety of mint, other said that the fresh leaves are toxic or had a sedative effect. Clearly, it doesn't have the same effect on bunnies as on cats, and some references said rabbits just avoid it - but I think I would err on the side of caution and not feed it to a rabbit. There are so many other things which are safe, why take a chance?

I second the stuff-a-toilet-paper-roll-with-hay comment. That's always a hit, and if you find a kind of hay the bunny particularly likes, even better. Scone hated timothy hay in any form, but he went wild for other sorts of grass hay, so I'd stuff toilet paper rolls with different sorts of hay and leave them around for him to find. Natasha will ONLY eat timothy hay, so that's what she gets - I fill her hay rack and also stuff a 4" section of mailing tube for her, as well.

Latest posts

Back