Tomothy or alfalfa based pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIpitydane

Reaction score
I have been feeding a brand of pellet from our feedstore called Mannapro and I think it is an alfalfa based pellet? I recently saw at petco some Timothy based pellets.....now I know that I should be feeding Timothy hay....but what about the pellets? Do I go with alfalfa on them? I'm so confused now, lol. My boys are 8 weeks and 12 weeks of age.

At their ages, they should be on an alfalfa pellet. They need the extra calories, protein, calcium and other nutrients to grow healthy. Elton will probably need it until he is about 6 months while Nelson should be on it until about 10-12 months old. Both should also have alfalfa hay until that point, but timothy can also be given.

You can start to look at timothy pellets now, but I would not switch until later. Also, if you plan on bonding them, you might want to keep them both on the alfalfa pellet as long as Elton is at a good weight and doesn't have issues with it or you can set it up so that they each get their own pellets.

Eeek, ok, so I should switch from the timothy hay to alfalfa hay then? I hope I haven't harmed them by feeding timothy hay all this time.

Ok thanks! I'll have the hubby pick up alfalfa on his way home rather than the timothy we'd been doing.

Latest posts

Back