To soon to start bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
I have had Cocoa, a male dwarf mix for about 4 years now and he has always been my only pet. Just one week ago I adopted Daisy who is a female rex. I put Daisy's cage in the same room as Cocoa's, but on opposite sides of the room. As soon as Cocoa noticed Daisy, he basically stared at her for a while and then hid and thumped for 10 minutes straight! Since then he has not thumped so I think he is used to another bunny being in the same room.

Now when I let Daisy out into her playpen she often runs to the back of the playpen closest to Cocoa's cage and bites and pushes the playpen. I can tell they are looking at eachother and noticing each other! It seems like Daisy wants to get out and go over to Cocoa. She often bites on her cage bars too, pretty rough I would say!

I planned to keep their cages apart for several weeks, but I am starting to think that I should go ahead and move their cages next to each other. Here is a pic of how the room looks now.

4788796994_d71944bb1c.jpg

Daisy's cage will be moved next to the desk. Do you think it is too soon to move their cages next to each other? I have only had Daisy for one week. Also Daisy has been spayed about 3 weeks ago. Thank you!

You should put the cages together and see how it goes. I often see that in petshops, when rabbits are caged seperately, they will sometimes "lie side-by-side".. too cute! :p
Maybe your rabbits might do this, hehe. :)

Let them get used to the scent of each other before bonding. Biting the bars is usually a sign that a rabbit wants to get out.

If you feel like things are going well(you will probably know yourself) you can put them together for a short while if you want to bond them as a bunny-couple :p
Introductions(w/o cages) are often recommended to do in bath tubs so it is harder to fight/run after each other.

Also - congrats on getting a new bunny. And I'm glad to hear you have her spayed!

Have fun :) :wave:

EDIT:The likely-hood of the rabbits bonding is IMO 9/10 chance.
Males-females are easiest to bond since by nature, that's what they are attracted to.

P.S If one of the rabbits begins to mount the other, it's totally natural (even if it's female on male lol!!).
It is a display of dominance and you will soon notice that one rabbit is more dominant than the other.
Another sign of dominance is one rabbit placing his/her head under the other rabbits chin.

I can't see any problem with putting them side by side, just make sure there is a gap between the cages so they can't bite each other.

I know with males it can take 4-6 weeks for the hormones to go down after they have been desexed, I'm not sure if it's the same with females... someone is sure to know around here! might be best to wait a bit more before you start the actual bonding sessions (if the hormones are still in play) but putting them side by side shouldn't be a problem.

It was a good idea to let Daisy get used to her new environment for a week before considering moving them side by side. I assume she seems to have settled in well and seems comfortable in her space now? If she was still pretty nervous I would wait before putting them side by side.

Let us know how it goes :)

:) that is a great set up! if daisy has recovered from her spay then i would definitely put the cages next to each other. it's a great first step. when you think they are used to each other, and you have the time, then let them meet. chose a neutral room - where neither bun has marked their territory. be on hand to intervene if things turn nasty. a water pistol is also useful!

good luck! i've been luck with my rex doe, roxy. she is on her second husbun and bonding has gone well on each occasion. take your time tho!

Thanks everyone! I would say Daisy is pretty settled in and comfortable with her surroundings. I guess I was worried more about Cocoa, since he has been my only bunny for several years! But I can tell he is interested and curious about Daisy.

I will go ahead and move their cages next to each other (today or tomorrow) and give you an update on how it goes!
:bunnyhug:

Latest posts

Back