To Fellow ND Breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaleyk98

Reaction score
How do you know who is going to be a BUB or BUD when they are babies? Do they weigh a certain amount by a certain age or something? I have a BEW litter of 3 right now and one baby is so tiny and cute and about 1/2 the size of her siblings. Does that make the other two BUBs? They are 6 weeks old right now.

That doesn't mean that the 2 are BUB or BUD, they could be the normal sized ones and the little one could bethe littlerunt. ;)

I'm not sure that you can even tell the BU's from the normal dwarfs until they are closer to maturity anyway... areone of the parents BU's ?

I find that by 8 weeks their ears are longer than the 2" allowed they don't have as flat a face as my true dwarfs and they tend to be bigger than the others in the litter and a lot longer in body

with 3 if only 1 is smaller it is hard to know when its a runt or the others are bub/d

things to look for in your young ones in the nethies are
eye closer to the nose than the ears and nice and bold

at 8 weeks the ears should still be under the 2" otherwise chances are they will get to big straight and on top of head

nice round head shape and short body. I also pay a lot of attention to the shoulders at this age if they are narrow now chances are they always will be narrow! so make sure when you put your hands at the sides of the body you are not getting a triangular shape!

How do you measure ears so small? Its easier with my elops of course but everytime I go to measure the NDs I come to over 2 in...even in my registered and show stock...so I know Im doing something wrong...

wooly_queen wrote:
That doesn't mean that the 2 are BUB or BUD, they could be the normal sized ones and the little one could bethe littlerunt. ;)

I'm not sure that you can even tell the BU's from the normal dwarfs until they are closer to maturity anyway... areone of the parents BU's ?
The mom is a BUD.

pop a ruler inbetween their ears lol or measure 2" from a ruler onto your finger so you can use your finger to measure them thats what bruce does anyway. tbh you can get them over 2" but not by much mainly what you want is balance so if you had a nethie with a big head and tiny ears it would look out of proportion so they tend to get away with bigger ears. if it has a smaller head and the ears are over 2" then they wont balance either

i look for constant balance in the full shape of my nethies from 4 weeks becuase at 3 weeks they all look great but by 4 weeks when you get to know them you will stsrt to notice which ones are going to go off. if they get to 8 weeks and still have what i am looking for then they stay and are allowed the gawky stage.
by 8 weeks you can tell whats not going to cut it and you may have some that might be worth keeping a bit longer but get another month on and arent going to make it. my nicest ones have never really gone through that ugly stage!

I made this post quite a while back when someone else had a question about BUB/BUD's, but here it is again for you. :) I hope it helps.

And by the way, these babies are all 4 weeks old. You should be able to tell by that time which are BU's and which aren't. Until then, just enjoy watching them grow.Babies are so much fun.

Alright, here is my nose to nose, side by side comparison of what is a BUB/BUD and what is not. :biggrin2:Enjoy.

The big uglies are always on the left and the normals are always on the right.

So to start off... these are my two big ugly babies

13125_141351_170000002.jpg
13125_141351_170000001.jpg

The first major thing is that they can't pose correctly. No matter how hard I try, the length of their bodies and the lack of balance prevents them from being able to pose correctly-- period. It is not even worth trying to pose them because after a while it just becomes cruel and probably could injure them. So I just get them to raise their head and look alert. When they are full grown their pictures will probably look like my BUD brood doe:

13125_291709_280000001.jpg

You can see better on her how her huge length of body prevents her from posing correctly.

The two big ugly babiesare both from the same litter. This is the whole litter:

13125_141348_420000001.jpg

The size difference should be fairly obvious.

These are the two bucks:

13125_141348_420000002.jpg
13125_141348_430000003.jpg

As you can see there is a great difference in ear length, body length, and width of the head. On the second picture you can also see that the BUB's ears are more folded looking. The smaller buck in this picture is actuallythe runt, to give you a better idea of the size. Ther larger buck weighs 9 1/2 ounces and the smaller buck weighs 7 1/4 ounces.

And these are the two does:

13125_141351_170000000.jpg
13125_141348_430000004.jpg

Again you can see the same differences in characteristics. Length of ears, length of body, width of head. The siamese sable doe is a normal sized baby. Her ears are actually just a bit longer than they should be, and a bit thin. The other doe's are are bigger all around, and are also very thick. The BUD weighs 10 5/8 ounces and the siamese sable weighs 7 3/4 ounces.

Now I will show you the real kicker. This is my pride and joy.

13125_141348_420000000.jpg

He is from a different litter, actually from the grandmother of the other litter, but they all have the same sire. He weighs in at 9 3/4 ounces and so is heavier than the buck from the other litter, but he is not a BUB.

Here is the comparison of the two bigger bucks:

13125_141351_170000003.jpg

13125_141351_170000004.jpg

So again the same characteristics are different. But with the buck who weighs more but is not a BUB, there is a difference. From hisposed picture you can see that he is big, but by no means is he ugly. His ears are proportional and fitting in size, he is extremely short in length of body, his head is very round and wide, andhe is very well balanced because he is massive throughout. He looks like a netherland dwarf really should look, and the BUB/BUD do not.

Now, don't get the idea in your head that BUD/BUB's aren't useful. I love my BUD very very much because she is a very good mom and usually has 6 kits at a time to boot. I think I am keeping the BUD from this litter because of the incredible type she carries in her background and breeding her to another great rabbit should bring that forward in her babies. BUB's don't have quite as much use but I think if a herd is getting finer boned and small they could be used to boost size there.

Hope this helps you! :biggrin:

speaking of runts, does having a runt matter? i think i have a little runt girl, she seams happy and is 9 weeks, but is a fair bit smaller, she breaths a little noisily and is a bit grunty, is this a worry if she is the runt?

liv22 wrote:
speaking of runts, does having a runt matter? i think i have a little runt girl, she seams happy and is 9 weeks, but is a fair bit smaller, she breaths a little noisily and is a bit grunty, is this a worry if she is the runt?

Usually being a runt does not matter at all, and just means that they develop slower when they are young.

If your baby is breathing funny, that could be a problem.

yeah, ive noticed the breathing is only really hearable when she is being picked up or put in an unfamiliar place...she had a vet check on saturday and another one mid week to see if anything is different...she is such a sweetie so fingers crossed though!

yeah, ive noticed the breathing is only really hearable when she is being picked up or put in an unfamiliar place...she had a vet check on saturday and another one mid week to see if anything is different...she is such a sweetie so fingers crossed though!

Latest posts

Back