Tip nest box over?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
Well I have read in a few places of breeders tipping the box over for the babies at a certain age. What age is it? I have a litter of 3 week olds and 2 week olds.

The 3 week olds, dwarf hotots,are almost living outside the box already. They have no fear and I've never seen them run back to the box for safety. They like to sleep in the box still, but more often then not they sleep in momma's hay feeder. Now, I have two 2 week old havana runts in with them. They are just starting to explore out of the box but are still a bit small. So that's something to think about.

The 2 week olds are not as active but are getting there.

The hotots are also starting to eat mom's pellets and hay quite readily.

It might not be now, but I'm curious to see if anyone else tips the box on it's side and at what time?

I don't tip the box over. I just let the babies hop in and out. My nestboxes have wire bottoms, so it wouldn't be very good for a hiding place for the babies if you can always see them :)

Dwarf Hotots are out of the box earlier than other breeds (their eyes open as early as 8 days!) I tip the box over when they start venturing outmay betoo small to get back in.

I just let my babies do what nature tells them. But I did have to put a brick in front of the box so they could get back in :)

Tessie

pamnock wrote:
Dwarf Hotots are out of the box earlier than other breeds (their eyes open as early as 8 days!) I tip the box over when they start venturing outmay betoo small to get back in.
lol Before I thought about tipping it they learned how to be little 'ninja bunnies' and scaled up the baby wire right by the box and would belly flop in. lol They're 3 weeks today and can hop in and out (even land on momma's head) well.

Latest posts

Back