Tinkerbell is not allowed out of her cage..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelscross

Reaction score
Until I figure something out. She was doing finehaving freedom during the day when we were home. UNTIL...she chewed ahole in my jeans....okay my fault they were on the floor. And thisweekend I went to watch a DVD and she had chewed the cord from the TVto DVD player right in two. She has been nibbling on the cable cord andnow the lamp cord. Luckily she has not been electrocuted! So it's backinto her cage until I figure something out.

I feel so badly because she is sitting in her cage shaking the doorwanting out. What do I do to keep her from chewing the cords? I'vestarted the spray bottle and it stops her for the time being but shegoes right back at it.

I have to keep my bun's in a play pen now sotheycan't go where they shouldn't. We spend a lot of timeoutside with them now.

Megan

I don't cage my bunnies at all but I havelearned to "bunny proof" anything that I don't want them gettingat. They have the run of my bedroom and bathroom, and all ofthe cords in that area I have covered with the plastic tubing that youcan get quite cheaply at a hardware store. In some areas Ihave used a board or something similar to completely block of theaccess to what I don't want them to get at. It takes a whileto bunny proof everything but it is definately worth it. Iwould hate to have to cage my happy bunnies.

It's very important to "bunny" proof, rabbitscan get into MANY things, make sure that you've got all that could getdamaged or hurt her out of the way BEFORE you let her loose, or watchher like a hawk.

Ellie

kelscross wrote:
she chewed a hole in my jeans....okay my fault they were on the floor.
lol....Pebbles nippeda hole in my jeans between my legs whenI was kneeling down to her. It's too embarrassing to wear thejeans now. :shock:

We always keep Pebbles in her cage if we can't keep an eye onher. It's for her own safety and for our peace ofmind. Her free run in the hall way is bunny proofedwhere she gets 5 - 6 hours a day.

Rainbows! :)

Hey that's an idea...I have a very long hallwaythat has no hazzards in it that she loves to run up and down. What do Iuse to keep her in that area? baby gates?

My buns have their own room which they sharewith my ferrets. It's totally bunny/ferret proof.They have the run of that room and the hallway. They spendthe rest of the time in their cages. They do fine likethis. I have toys in all of their cages. It workswell for me.

Jen

my buns have there own room too. Theyhave stripped some of the wallpaper and we have had to put a fencearound the room to protect the carpet but they seem to love it.. we letthem out of there room this weekend and they come creeping down thehall to our front room get so far and pelt back and then creep inagain. Is so funny to watch them explore.

Even with them being allowed out they sometimes choose nottoo. Hetti comes out more than Jack who seems happy under thebed in there room... is this normal?

We use a baby gate to keep our rabbits in theirarea. Also, we covered all cords with plastic tubing and have shovedwhat cords we could behind or under furniture. Keep plenty of otherchew toys out, for play and chewing too.

I use a baby gate also. My buns are inthe cages but enjoy a few hours a day out either in my kitchen (sofunny to watch them slide accross the tile) or outside in theirpen. Yes bunny proofing is a must. We learned thehard way when my buns when they were babies chewed a hole in the fabricunder my box springs and would run and hide there and we couldnt findthem for hours :shock:

When my little guy suddenly developed a thingfor cords, I had to come up with a solution quick (or my fiance wasgoing to kill him), so I improvised with garden hose. I couldn't findany plastic tubing, so I bought the hose. We cut it into pieces, slicedit open, and put his favorite cords inside it. I needed a handsaw tocut the ends off, but the rest can be sliced and cut with scissors.Since then, he has completely lost interest in cords (but I won't betaking the hose away:D). It's a little strange to have pieces of gardenhose in the living room, but it works and besides the place is usuallycovered in hay anyway!

kelscross wrote:
Hey that's an idea...I have a very long hallway that has nohazzards in it that she loves to run up and down. What do I use to keepher in that area? baby gates?

I have baby gates........but I use large pieces of chloroplasts that iseasily blocked off with some thing heavy, like thewindshield washer fluid bottle in the picture.

Rainbows! :)

You should always have all cords or anything wired out of reach from your bun.
If a wire is easy to get to..then try blockng it off with an item..? Maybe a small chair or pillow?
You can still let Tinkerbell out! Just make sure you bun proof your home or Tinkerbell's surroundings.

I can also suggest that you could make a play penfor your bun. That way you have an easy eye on her and she won't beroaming the house un-supervised :D It would be musch easier.

Good luck!

xoxox Emmy & family.

Latest posts

Back