Timothy hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazedAConfused

Reaction score
I have read on here that many bunnies eat lots of hay, but my baby girl doesn't..

I have had the same bag for about 3 weeks now and she hasn't really puta dent in it.. I am wondering if the problem is that I keepher food bowl full..

If I cut back on the food,do you think she may eat the hayinstead? I tried that the other day but she really did seem like shewas upset (to the point I was upset, and felt like I was starving her:( )and she didn't really touch the hay at all..Should I give it a few days like that?

The hay is still green, but since I have had it for awhile some of itis starting to turn a little brownish.. It is a 48oz bag (pretty bigbag) and I don't want it to go to waste and I know how important thehay is to her, specially since she is shedding so much right now..

I even tried grabbing some from the middle and bottom of the bag and she sniffs it then goes to her food bowl... lol

The hay still has a strong smell to it (not as strong at all when I first bought it) so I am sure it is still good..

Any suggestions please? :)

If she is a mature rabbit then she should be onlimited pellets. Have your tried a different type of hay? Maybe orchardgrass or brume? It could be that she doesn't like timothy hay.

I would start to limit her pellets and see if in a couple of days herhay intake doesn't increase. It is an important part of their dietbecause it helps to grind down their teeth, alleviate boredom, and asyou said, cleans out the system. If she still doesn't seem interestedin it maybe try switching to a different brand or type of hay.

Good luck!

Fergi's mom

HiDazedAConfused,

One of my rabbits doesn't fancy hay much either. As long asthey have a good pellet food that's at least 18%+ crude fiber, Iwouldn't worry too much. Pamnock doesn't give her rabbits haybecause of the mess it makes with so many in the barn.

Going to bring back a post by Buck Jones entitled, "To Hay orNot". I think you'll find it interesting because it brings upsome different perspectives on the issue of hay.

-Carolyn

P.S. The hay does help to scrape the system clean,but if she won't take that, you could also give her some canned pumpkinwhich is loaded with fiber and help her go too.

Bun Bun used to turn his nose up at it when hewas younger. Now he eats a lot of it. I guess hejust aquired a taste to it. During the day, all I've beenoffering him is the hay. It keeps him full, and since he'schubby, it keeps his weight down. Like everyone else said, mixing haymight work.

Pebbles prefers the smaller fine brown hay overthe fresh green Oxbow Timothy Hay. :p Butshe eatshay regularly especially, when I put herback into her cage at night.

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back