Thumping bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
Hi everyone my bunny was sitting near the window where she always sits and she all of a suddenly thumped really loud with both feet. She is under the bed now and she won't come out or let me pet her. and she won't stop thumping!!!!
Nothing has changed in her surroundings? What's upsetting her???

If she was sitting near the window, chances are she saw or heard something outside which scared her. It doesn't take much. As prey animals, rabbits are very easily spooked, and while their eyesight is very good in terms of low-light sensitivity and coverage - they can see nearly 360 degrees around them - it isn't very sharp. It's possible that a bird few over, or something ran nearby, and she saw that as a threat. Their hearing is incredibly acute, so it's also possible that she heard something which scared her - a dog barking or a coyote howling, or just some noise in the house she didn't recognize.

Natasha Rabbitova will occasionally run into my room in the middle of the night and thump until I wake up and tell her everything's all right. Sometimes I have to get out of bed and go look, and that will satisfy her. Once or twice I didn't react quickly enough and she jumped up onto the bed and thumped next to my pillow - that will wake you up right away, no matter how sound a sleeper you might be. A few pets and some reassuring talk, and she was ready to hop off and go back to sleep.

Just talk to her calmly and reassure her that everything's OK. Maybe you can entice her out from under the bed with a favorite treat. She'll calm down eventually.

Thanks for your reply mikescone. Not sure what it was but she eventually stopped thumping. But then I had a problem at 4am, I'm pretty certain there was a mouse in the wall behind Phoenixs hutch and she wouldn't stop thumping and it was scratching in the wall so I had to sit on the opposite side of the room with her and calm her!!! What we do for our buns :)

Latest posts

Back