Thumper weight loss and ileus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usagi_Chan

Reaction score
Thumper hasn't been quite well lately.
She's an 8 1/2 year old mini-rex. I feed her hay, some fresh veggies, 2 tbsp pellets and a bit of fruit. She also has taken a liking to salt-free pretzels, which I give her sparingly. She seems to waste most of her hay.

She has been weighing in at about 2200 grams at each of her last 5 annual exams. On Sept 25th she appeared lethargic and I initially though it was mild ileus, which she has once or twice a year, I have always been able to fix that with simethicone. This time when I picked her up she seemed light and more bony than usual. I weighed her and was shocked to find that she weighed only 1664 grams, a 1.3 lb loss.

At noon I called her vet and they said they could see her right away but that it would cost $90 or I could take a 4:30 appointment for the usual fee of $54. I reluctantly opted for 4:30.

They examined her and confirmed the weight loss. Neither they nor I know if the loss was sudden or gradual. I told the vet that I felt she was dehydrated and needed fluids. Suspecting kidney/liver problems, the vet took blood, checked it in their in-house lab and found no problem.

I was then sent home with orders to force-feed her Critical Care and give her Meloxicam. A few hours later she was weak and started trembling. I was certain (and still am) that she was about to die. I rushed her to the Emergency Clinic in town. She was in my lap wrapped in a towel all the way and she looked at me as though she knew this was the last she would ever see me, that she was going to die. They took her temperature, found it was 97 and told me she was dehydrated and hypothermic. I know how to give subcutaneous fluids. They offered that option but advised that I leave her at the clinic overnight. I left her. They gave her a warm IV drip and in a few hours when I called to check on her they told me she was better and even eating some greens, a rather speedy an unexpected recovery. I had expected to hear hat she had died. The next morning the vet at the Clinic told me that animals usually don't do very well when their temperature drops that low. She was subtly telling me that she had initially expected that Thumper might well die.

Needless to say, the first vet is no longer going to care for Thumper or any of the rest of my rabbits. First they missed the obvious, dehydration and did nothing for it. Worse, they didn't even take her temperature and missed the hypothermia as well. It's a fairly well-known fact that if you keep a rabbit hydrated, you can pull them through many things, especially ileus. So I also now need a new Vet.

Three days ago Thumper repeated this, no appetite and the usual anti-social behavior that she exhibits when she's sick . The Clinic had given me the remainder of the IV bag which was nearly full and the rest of the paraphernalia to give subcutaneous fluids. So I gave her 50 ml, simethicone and some meloxicam. By morning she was fine.

She repeated this behavior again last night. This time I just gave her the Simethicone amd Meloxicam. She got better and today is okay (so far)

So, she is obviously underweight. She is often okay for many hours or days. When she's sick I can confirm it because she will refuse a slice of banana which she usually devours with extreme relish. She also seems to get relief from the Meloxicam and Simethicone so I suspect she's having some pain.

I'm a bit lost. Good care is expensive and the first vet is considered to be one of the best in the area. They only treat exotics. I wonder if their problem is that they treat ALL exotics and are losing sight of rabbits.The Emergency Clinic was $412 and worth it since they most likely saved Thumper's life. However I can't keep shelling out that kind of money if she's going to be sick every few days.

I do feel that she likely has some sort of chronic condition that needs to be diagnosed properly. Randy lives fairly close to me. I recommended that he join this board a few years ago and he did. He's listed as "on vacation" on another site he frequents and not due back until December 6. I'd love to hear his opinion.

I'd also love to hear any other opinions from any of you.

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

I also think she's drinking and peeing a lot more than usual. I got a new water dispenser, one that is used for cats and small dogs. I got it to hopefully encourage her to hydrate herself. It makes the water easier to get. The ease of use and novelty of the new dispenser might be causing her to drink more.

Her poops range in size from tiny, seed-like to normal size. They are also very irregular in form. Of course that has been true for years.

Did you mention if she was spayed (I did not see that in your history)? If not, I would advise a radiograph of the body looking for lung masses and/or abdominal masses. The cause of this illness has not been located yet it seems, and 80% of all unspayed rabbits by her age have uterine cancer (this is why ALL female rabbits need to be spayed!). 8.5years is getting to be an older bunny, so other possible problems could be on the list, too... but that weight loss is alarming and the cause should be ferreted out if possible.

Other comments: in my opinion, it is never OK to feed pretzels to a rabbit in any quantity- extremely dangerous for their sensitive GI tracts.

I also do not recommend fruit in any quantity other than the tiniest amount, weekly at the most. Again- no need and risky (sugar not good for rabbits).

And lastly I am not a pellet fan, either, though in her case, now that she's lost so much weight, I might make an exception to that.

Since she is an elder bun, you may want to give her alfalfa like you would with a younger bun--higher calcium would be balanced out with decreased appetite and the higher protein would be a plus that may be lacking right now.

Yes she is spayed.

As for pretzels, they are salt-free and I just cannot resist a begging bunny. All get a bit of fruit but they do not gorge themselves on it. They would find apples in the wild and likely gorge themselves so I don't believe that fruit is necessarily evil, certainly not in the quantities that I allow them.

She was very sick last night and I didn't expect she'd be alive in the morning. I had a job interview so I really couldn't do much. This morning I took her to a new vet. They couldn't see her until after noon so I took her to another that is good with rabbits (advice from several friends) She's there now while I interview and pray.. for the job so I can pay vet bills and for my precious Thumper. She is very precious to me.

I have considered more pellets but the problem is that she has a bond-mate who is actually a bit too plump. It is just about impossible to separate them and see that Thumper gets more and keep Pegasus from grabbing her share.

With Thumper having reoccuring bouts of ileus/GI stasis, she really shouldn't be having pretzels or fruit. It's not the salt that's the problem, it's the carbohydrates. It's very likely that it's the carbohydrates and fruit that are causing her digestive problems. Some rabbits are just more sensitive to digestive problems and you have to be more careful with them or they can get sick. I had one rabbit die from GI stasis because I was feeding her a little bit of fruit or carrot each day, like half a grape or half of a baby carrot. So it's not like I was loading her down with treats, she was just more sensitive to it disrupting her digestion, and I didn't know much about GI stasis and didn't know the warning signs to look out for. I have another rabbit that is very sensitive to it as well and he gets zero treats except for leafy greens, because I don't want him to get sick and die like my other rabbit. I know it's hard to resist those cute buns begging for their treats but if you want to save your Thumpers life, I would stop all carbs and sugars. That's carrots, fruit, anything with grain, and anything sugary. Instead use leafy greens as healthy treats for her. She may not like it at first but she'll get used to it, and it's what she needs to stay healthy. If you don't know much about ileus/GI stasis, I would urge you to read up on it. It really is a very serious illness and rabbits can very easily die from it. I really wish I had known more about it back before my sweet little bun got sick. If I had, she would probably still be with me today.

With the weight loss, has your vet checked fecal samples for any parasites? Your bun really needs to be getting more food. Like Larry mentioned, you may want to give alfalfa hay a try. Rabbits usually like the taste of it and it will help her put on weight. Separate your buns at feeding time and that will give Thumper a chance to eat more of her own food.

They did an x-ray and found a bright spot that the vet thinks is probably metal. She can't be sure if it's in the cecum or intestinal tract. She also can't know if it's moving through the tract or blocking it. With Thumper? Metal is entirely possible since she will eat anything and always has. She is especially fond of wires and baseboards

They found a very full stomach and a bit of gas. The gas was not an abnormal amount according to the vet. The full stomach indicates what we already know, that her gut isn't moving.

The vet told me:
50 ml Lactated Ringer's solution per day, subcutaneously
Meloxicam: .3 mg/24 hrs
Simethicone: 1 ml every 6 hrs
Keep her warm -- use a sock full of rice heated in a microwave since she is likely to eat a heating pad.
(This is not my first encounter with GI Stasis so I had already been doing all of the above)

I am to keep her in a separate cage from her bond-mate Pegasus but within sight of each other so I can monitor if she eats, poops and/or pees.

I'm asked to call the vet in the morning to report her progress. I might need to bring her in for another x-ray to see if the object is moving.

Other things the vet said: She is not a good candidate for surgery because of her age and weakened condition. Euthanasia might be indicated, but not yet.

I'm really sorry about your bun being sick and hope she's able to pull through this.

.3 ml of meloxicam (1.5 suspension) is very high. Newer research is also saying it's also pretty much out of their systems in 12 hours, so it maybe best to split the dose in half.

my mini-rex would look like he's dying with gas attacks, his temp would drop, he'd be limp or shaking. then he'd snap out of it and act like nothing had happened.

there is logically some weight loss from aging (wasting muscle, etc), but i suspect the object is the problem. maybe its blocking food and allowing it to ferment resulting in gas?

the fluids are key, but I strongly recommend oral fluids. the subq fluids are needed as well but don't seem to do enough to move matter through the gi tract.

nice to see you back here, sorry its under these circumstances.

will be watching for updates.

sas :pray:

Hi Pipp, nice to see you again

The .3 was mg. I mixed up the solution from some 15 mg meloxicam tablets that were prescribed for me. I dissolved one 15 mg tablet in 15 ml of water, 1 mg/ml So .3 ml of that is .3 mg of meloxicam. This is a lot cheaper than what most vets charge. I got 20-15mg tablets for $4 from Walmart.

Thumper is a mini-rex also. She was fine this morning, eating , pooping and running around. Over the last 5 years my bunnies have seldom been sick.

The vet called this morning. She wants do do another x-ray to see if the object has moved but she'd rather hold off since Thumper is eating and drinking and give it more time to move.

For the last 5 years I had been taking her to one vet for an annual physical. They are known locally as a good rabbit vet. About 2 years ago Thumper developed a growth in her dewlap. At the time she was about 6. That vet, on learning that I'm on a fixed income stated, "we can always euthanize her for you." Her callousness and apparent greed upset and angered me. I quit taking Thumper for her annual physical but hadn't found a new vet. So now we have a new one and so far I'm pleased with her. The dewlap growth has since disappeared, reabsorbed, I guess.

I left a text message for Randy and he did get back to me yesterday. He added some appreciated and valuable suggestions.

Latest posts

Back