Three bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybunnie8

Reaction score
I currently have two bunnies... one about 3 years old and the other about a year. I have been wanting to add another bun to the mix but I'm not sure if it's the best idea or even how to go about it really. Do three bunnies work? Right now I have Lancelot and he is a mellow slightly aloof bun and I have Camille who is much more out going and always come when you call her...except when they have escaped and don't want to go back in:disgust:and begs unmercifully for food...they both live in an enclosure about the size of half my living room that has a cage, but really it only hold the water... Would I have to separate the new bun for a certain amount of time before allowing any contact? like get the new bun use to me and my house before hand or what?

I have tried the 3 bunny thing. I currently have two males and a female (I found the second male). I thought Frodo, being a calm bunny would accept his new male friend after a neuter, I was wrong. Rabbit fights are horrible. Luckly I had an extra cage.

So my word of caution is, if you get the third rabbit, be prepared in case some one does not like him/her. I would just stick to two rabbits, or just go for four.

I had a bonded female pair and tried to introduce a new male. It didn't work for me. The dominant female didn't accept him and the he bullied the other female. It's been over a year and the male is still caged separately.

I tried again with another male (a rescue I took in). It didn't work with him, either, so he is also caged separately.

Would 2 more bunnies work better? so I would have 4 then? I have cages, but i dont really use them.

Also would getting baby bunnies be easier or an adult? I would perfer to get some buns from the shelter, and they tend to be adults more then babies.

Actually I think it's better to get adults. Why? Because you know their temperments when you get them, getting babies is always a gamble because there is no guarentee they'll get along after they go thorugh the teen stage. If you can get 2 adults to get along, the chances of them fighting are slim because they've already passed that hormonal stage.

And I think what was meant by getting 4 was having 2 bonded pairs instead of one big group. Bonding 3 is hard, but bonding 4 is harder.

Latest posts

Back