The Journey with Callaway

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just hate when that happens. When you've just been somewhere, then find you have to go back. Ughh! You could see about having them call in your prescription somewhere closer to you, as long as it's not going to cost a whole bunch more. i'm glad the vet is giving panacur a try, and I'm really hoping you start to see signs of improvement. Just be aware that it can sometimes take several weeks before you do see the improvement, especially if a problem has been going on for some time. But I'm crossing my fingers for Callie. I would be hoping to not have to turn to the seizure meds too. I know that they can cause behavior changes in people as well.

I feel bad.... Callaway has been neglected the past two days. Having to hang out by himself. We've gone off roading both days this weekend all day. He's gotten his attention in the morning and in the evening and thats it. Feel terrible :( BOO.

I did notice he is acting really hungry lately. Normally he runs around my feet multiple times because he knows he is getting pellets. Lately, as soon as we walk in the room, he gets really excited and makes laps, runs to his food dish, etc. When we give him his pellets, he gobbles it down like he hasnt eaten in a billion years, then he gets his greens and gobbles it down the same way. Then he walks around searching for more food. Are we not giving him enough food or is he just being his silly rascal self? He weighs a little under 4 pounds. He gets 1/8c of 16% protein pellets twice a day; normally 530am and again between 6-7pm. He gets a large handful of greens twice a day as well. Once around 8am and the other around the same as his evening pellets. Free range Timothy Hay. His greens are normally whats on sale/looks good at the mart. Generally its Kale, endive, or curly mustard greens; sometimes spinach. I have noticed that his poops are fairly large. Look like the size of a large pea or a little musket ball if anyone knows what that is. Normal?

Im starting Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred tomorrow on top of Zumba. Lets see some results! Im excited! Has anyone done any type of workout regime that worked for you?

I pick up Callaway's new medicine tomorrow and get my drug screening done. I cant wait to get everything done and start working. Hopefully he takes his Panacur without issues. Jbun: any input on how to administer it if he wont take it via the syringe? :anyone:

We are two days into the Panacur. He wouldn't take it via the syringe. Instead he kept rubbing his chin on it. So I mixed with with applesauce again. It looked gross since the Panacur is a milky white but I dont think Callaway cared too much. But when we have been home, I haven't noticed any thing but then again, I was out pretty much all day and evening. So I couldnt observe him and its only two days into it. It's probably now just getting into his blood stream. All I know is he gets lovee dovee when he is on medication and boy do I love it. HaHa. Spent a good part of the morning with his head on my leg begging for rubs. Gave him his greens this morning and he did the indy 500 several times noting his excitement.

I wanted to ask other house rabbit owners, what do you do about their feet? Callaway is on carpet all day long because he refuses to walk on hard floor. His cage has the plastic grid in the bottom (its a florescent light cover). He only is in there to use the bathroom. When he is in there over night, he typically spends his time in his litter box. But he gets these mats on the bottom of his feet that look like dread locks. I can normally pull them out or cut them. Is there anything I can improve to help keep him from getting them?

Yeah, applesauce would work, or I was going to suggest a little mushed banana, to mix it in to. I usually just hurry and give meds, and squirt it in once I get the syringe into the corner of their mouth, then give treats after, but if you have one that really fights it, it can be hard. I love it too, when they get all snuggly after meds. I only have one of mine that will do that. Usually most of them want to get away from me, and foot flick me on the way out, haha.

With his diet, it sounds like he is getting the right amount for his size. You want his back area and rump, to feel fleshy and not boney. If his bones seem to protrude, feel sharper instead of rounded, or his rump looks flat instead of rounded, then you may need to up his pellets a little, as long as he doesn't have digestive problems with carbs and sugars. But if he seems fleshed out and healthy, then that amount is good for him. All my buns get really excited about their greens and pellets too, and scarf them down, and have timothy to munch on the rest of the day. If your buns poops are all uniformly large, and don't vary in size from small to really large, then that is pretty normal, and usually just means a rabbit is getting good amounts of fiber in it's diet. Now if they are seeming super large and aren't round but are oblong shaped, then there may be something else going on.

I'm not sure about the matts on the feet. I've never had a breed that had long enough fur to get matts. I know some people have had to cut them out, but that always makes me nervous when I have to use scissors close to my rabbits skin. If you have hair or dog clippers, you may be able to use those to shave the matts out. You could try brushing them out. Hopefully someone that's dealt with this, will chime in. But I think when you have a rabbit that is prone to them, you just have to either keep them clipped, or brushed.

We had another seizure yesterday. Lasted very little time. I tried to get my camera on him to capture it but my phone was not cooperating. I got the tail end of it when he leaps up and grooms. ugh. Tired.

Just a quick one. Ive got things to do today.

We had another seizure today. Lasted about 20 seconds. Full contortion. I got down to comfort him and he took off and his between the couch and the wall. I got down with him and tried to record the fake grooming but the light from the camera made it cease. Not sure why. He was breathing heavily. I reached out to pet him and he completely freaked out. He leapt at me then high tailed it the other direction. :(. I gave him some space then reapproached him. He was back to normal and allowed me to stroke his back and his nose. This is killing me and it hurts me to not know how to help him. Two seizures this week. It pains me.

Well, no seizures so far since the last post. He isnt as cuddly either :( still begging for treats though. Which is nice since he didnt really do that. I had my first bunny "grooming" which was pretty neat. Ive been trying to nuzzle Cally to show him I care about him since I dont want to groom him :p yuck. haha. And the other night I was laying on the floor with him and he hops up to my head and begins to groom my hair. It was particularily funny. However, it ended up with him scratching at my scalp. I think he thinks my hair is interesting. It is really long. I normally have it up in a messy bun when I am home. He has dug at it before but while he was grooming me, my hair was down so I dont think he new what it was.

I am trying to get him to get on the couch at his own will. No such luck. I stacked pillows and got him on the first pillow and halfway on the second but that was about it. I keep telling Josh we need to get a ramp but Josh doesnt think he'd use it. Cally keeps periscoping to look at the top of the love seat. I think he wants to get on it, just doesnt know how.

How am I doing? Fairly well. Still hanging in there with my Zumba and losing weight. I start my job on Monday. I am pretty excited. I am working in a child center/pre-school. Title is assistant teacher but its pretty much just a floater. Friday though I will be subbing in an infant room. So pretty excited about that one. :time:

Other than that I am fine. We're working on the intimacy bit at a slow pace but we are working on it and thats what matters.

Till next time!

I have long hair and Thumper has on occasion tried digging it. Mostly he tries to eat it especially when it is damp from the shower or he pushes it out of his way with his head if I happen to be crawling around on the floor and he gets under it. He grabbed some in his mouth the other day and before I could react gave to very hard tugs.

He may jump onto the couch in his own time.

I hope you enjoy the work. I like kids especially when they are that young, they are so innocent and everything is still so knew and magical for them.

Quick one tonight as Im making dinner... I just want to have it on here so I remember.

Pretty sure I jinxed myself with the last post. He had a seizure today. Lasted approximately 15 seconds in which exhibited similar symptoms. Ugh.

Other than that, he has been begging for attention today. I put his food dish on a boot tray when I feed him as well as his greens to help keeping the mess contained. He still drags his dish over to the side and dumps it on the carpet. Still grabs the perfect piece of green and takes it to the carpet and shreds it before eating it... Stinker.

Welp another one today. Im assuming the Panacur isnt working. So. I am going to wait out the rest of the medicine and wait till it is gone to see if I am just jumping the gun. The next step is the experimental drugs which I am not too particular to or let him continue to seize and go untreated; shortening his life span. The vet told me he isnt in pain when he seizes so that gives me a little glimmer.

Im not very good at this blogging thing. So I will post whenever I can even though like three people read it. Haha so I guess it will be my personal record keeping for Callaway.

I got him a hay thingy that clips to the side of the cage to help solve his using his hay bucket to potty. I hung it so it draps over his litter box. Now, I love it because he is using his litter box more. However, I dont like it because the hay we get from tractor supply is fine and is chopped into smaller pieces. It gets literally everywhere and we have more waste which defeats the purpose of this hay feeder. But I guess I just cannot win.

He now has two sections of a carboard castle. One that is open and the second room is completely closed so it gives him a little hideaway. My question to you guys who do it is do you put anything on the bottom of the cardboard to prevent messes? I noticed that he has left poops on the cardboard but they are not the hard ones. They are the ones that look like the blackberries. So they dry and get stuck. He hasnt peed in the boxes as far as I can tell except when I put newspaper in there for him to play with. Needless to say, I took the paper out.

My job is going well. I love it. My only issue with it is that since I have been off of a schedule for two months, I am having difficulty adjusting. I cant wake up at 6 (I technically dont have to but I want to condition myself) and end up waking up at 8 or 9. I work generally 12-6 but sometimes will have an 8-2 shift. When I get home at 7, (work an hour away), I am so tired and just pooped. I literally make dinner, eat dinner, and then go to bed. I am in bed by 830-845. I really wish I could just figure it out. Its not like I am working a strenuous job, I take care of children. Ill figure it out eventually.

Till next time.

I usually use whole boxes so the bottoms are still in them...but I made some wood hide boxes with no bottoms, so in case they run in them and I need to get the bun out, I can just lift it up.

The blackberry poops are cecotropes...your bunny actually eats those as they contain essential nutrients. See the rabbits section at this page for more info: http://rabbit.org/small-animal-nutrition/

It is tough to get back to a schedule after being off one for a while...the good news is you'll probably get reconditioned sooner rather than later!

That's good news the seizures aren't painful for Callaway...doesn't make them any easier to watch though. Hopefully the new meds can help.

Just a quick update so I remember as the inlaws are here for Memorial Day. We have had two seizures today. I think it might've had something to do with the fact I forgot his medicine two nights ago. I'm not sure. :/

Update: We finished the round of medicine and he continues to have seizures. I think it is something that he and I will both have to live with. The vet has no logical explanation and epilepsy treatment is experimental in rabbits. I'd rather try to give Callaway the best life I can than to take a chance at possibly losing him as a side affect of a drug or treatment. The vet says he isnt in any pain when he has the seizure so it'll just be something to deal with. For now, Ill provide him comfort during an episode.

I built him some cardboard house additions and attempted a ramp. The box is too tall so the ramp is pretty steep. I placed a towel on it to give him some traction to get up it but I think it is still too steep. Ive seen him up there once. He loves laying under the ramp as well as at the base of it. He is still a little stinker and is in the process of molting so we are quite hairy as of late.

I would like to give him some special occasion treats but I know that the pet store treats are not good for him. Any ideas besides the normal fruit or special veggie? Ive heard of a baked nugget but I cannot remember where I heard of it nor how to make it.

I have been following your blog and just wanted to give you some reassurance if it is needed. I have had seizures myself and as the vet said they are not painful. The only time I had pain was with the first one when I didn't realize what was going on so when I had the seizure I hit the floor hard. As it was a hard floor I whacked my head good and came to with a killer headache.

Wanted to share this picture of callaway taken Labor Day weekend! This is also where he got fleas that need to be taken care of that I found today.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1379626098.107265.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Awwwww he's adorable...nasty fleas hope he gets rid of them soon :)

Sent from my GT-I8160P using Rabbit Forum mobile app

We have another addition for who knows how long! My landlord texted me yesterday and asked if we wanted to catch a rabbit that had been left by a previous tenant down the road. We can't keep it and hubby just wasn't keen on it. I told him we were going to take it till we can either find a rescue or a permanent home. Hubby's only stipulation was he cannot be indoors for both smell and our own bun. So he is currently in a dog kennel on our porch. I put a bowl of water and a box filled with hay.

I feel awful leaving him there but hubby compromised so I must also. I'm still trying to contact rescues and figure out what to do. Going to hold off on pellets for now per someone's recommendation. Just going to give hay and kale and slowly introduce pellets.

He is quite the big bunny! Not sure if it is a boy or a girl but I want to try to gain his trust before I make any attempt to figure out its sex.

I don't know anything about breeds of rabbits with the exception of lops. So if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1380067371.554058.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back