The effects of nail clipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malo

Reaction score
This
Fave2.jpg

+

This
Img_0239.jpg

+
This
Img_0254.jpg

=

This
Img_0261.jpg

Enough Said

Soooo...what was Malo doing when you scratched yourself with the nail clippers (jk) ;)

With 7 bunnies, I tend to have scratches healing all of the time.:disgust:

Stephanie wrote:
Why do you think I have my hubby hold the rabbits? :p
I'm guessing that you don't currently have any healing scratches....right?!?!

Hubby looks like a scratching post....right again?!?!

Did you manage to clip all the nails?

Pebbles makes it a game when I clip. She would pullher paw away just before I cut, but she neverscratches.

Rainbows! :D

Mine lose their minds when I try to clip theirnails, but they are little angels when the vet does it.Turds! Maybe they are just too scared to give him a hardtime.

Laura

She was perfect the first time (Whisper, this isn't Malo. I named my old bunny Malo, then found out that Malo means "bad boy")

I think it may be because she moved her foot the first time and Iaccidently got a tiny bit of her quick. Today she was thrashing aboutand her nails were pretty long too, which made it hurt

I thought that I would need a rabbit muzzle orsteel gloves, but the trancing was wonderful. I cut every nail and tookmy time about it.

How exactly are you holding them to clip the rabbits nails?

With Tiny, I wrap her in a towel, put her on her back and she just laysthere and lets me clip her nails. I stoped clipping them for awhile anddecided to file them, but I discovered that that took too long and shewould get tired of being on her back.

I know there are serveral ways to clip their nails. There is anotherway I read about, where you rub behind their neck, or their "spot"until they go into that trans where they just sit there and breathe,then clip their nails. That one is a little dangerous because they canliterally jump out of the trans.

I remember once I had let Tiny stay out over night and she jumped on mybed and woken me up. When I bent over to kiss her she took it wrong andscratched my face. That was intresting to explain to everyone.

not every rabbit can be tranced ........hencethe use ofa "bunny burrito"........i never understood thereasoning behind it but i think it was Naturestee and Mr. Stee who saidthat rabbits go into a trance as predatory response so that when theyare grabbed by a larger animal they go into a trance so the other anmalwill think they are dead and let them go......this can be verystressful for some rabbits..

those were the only two ways that i was told of,i alway thought it had weird effects on them. they always seemed likethey were stressed out. but sadly some online site was saying to dothat and clip their nails. there was just something about, "rub theirneck and clip their nails" that frightened me.... i haven't heard of abunny burrito. what is it?

Latest posts

Back