That's It. He Sprayed Me...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channahs

Reaction score
This morning while I was cleaning Barry's litterbox (he hates it when I steal his pewps) he jumped up in the air, twitched his butt and sprayed me all across my bare legs. Then he jumped in his box and blocked my access.

I can't believe he did that. Never in my life!! We have such a super relationship. Is it hormones that made him do that or did he just cop a bunnitude?

I do believe it's time to make that appointment. I have endured being humped, circled and honked at and those are not so bad because I could divert him with his humpty bear, but getting sprayed is a big, fat ewweee. :yuck Will a neuter insure that I will never be sprayed again while cleaning his litterbox?

Haha, just be glad it wasn't in the face, I'm sure he won't miss next time ;) I would say that it is most likely hormones and that yes, neutering will almost certainly stop the behaviour. Call it... an initiation :p

NO neutering will NOT guarantee (note the guarantee) stopping the spraying.

it will greatly reduce the likelihood of such an event reoccuring... but neutered rabbits can spray too... been there.. had it happened and I promptly doublechecked.

He likes you!

You could just manage him differently you know. Let him out into a different area. block him in, clean his cage, bring him back. :) Easy enough to manage.

MOST spraying (at least that I find with my boys) lasts about 2 months tops, and then they settle down.

Oh noes! I'm happy that he likes me but ... :nonono:

So I'm telling my son about this today (who boarded Barry while I was on vacation in Vegas) and he says OH YEAH! He did that to me too! Hit him in the arm while he was cleaning the litterbox. So this appears to be linked to his scooping his pewps, something that he dislikes.

I suppose I could contain Barry in his condo while I clean the litterbox. I really don't care for his show of affection...

Barry will be 4 months old on Sept. 1st. He's an eLop and things appear to have dropped. From what I've read, the eLops don't sexually mature until around 7 months. I would rather have him neutered sooner than later because I surely don't want him to develop bad habits.

Probably hormones. My 3 month old buck must be going through puberty.. I was laying on the ground with him yesterday and he sprayed me right in the face! Then did a happy little hop away very satisfied with himself. >:O I thought females were the moody ones jeez. We should spray them back maybe they'd stop ;)

LOL eww to the face spray! I'm inclined to believe Azerane in that "next time he won't miss." I have to clean his litterbox usually two times a day. I was very watchful of his whereabouts while cleaning this evening. I'm kinda thinking now that this has officially started, I can expect that same jump, twist and spray during one of his circle fest in the coming days.

Lol Bambi sprayed me for the first time ever the other day when I was putting some of his poos in his litter tray ( we're just finishing training). He nose bumped me and hopped around for a bit then he got fed up of me messing with his things did a little binky and totally sprayed my arm. Lucky it wasn't the face :biggrin:. Anyway I think it's time I made an appointment at the vet..........

Ha! It's as if, ok hooman. dems mines pewps and i puts dem der so's you nos dis all bees mines. If you no leaves dem where i puts dem, den I just makes you mines.

Twigs used to spray my poor daughter all the time. We're talking like 5+ times a day! We took him and got him fixed and that was that. He hasn't sprayed since.

With reading the hormonal male bunny behavior from various topics and this one. I think my 1yr old unneutered male bun is strange, he does none of these behaviors. But Neutering may help some and would do it soon before this becomes a ingrained behavior.

Back