Teeth Grinding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboudreau13

Reaction score
I have heard, that while petting/holding your rabbit, them grinding their teeth is similar to a cat's purring; is this true? Or is it something i should be concerned about? :bunny5

There are two kinds. There is the tooth purring which is like soft grinding or chattering of their teeth, when they are content, usually from being petted. The other is tooth grinding, which is usually louder and harsher sounding, and is a sign that a rabbit is in pain.

There are three reasons that I know of why rabbits grind their teeth. 1) being content, happy, etc., 2) pain, physical pain, 3) emotional pain

When Sweetie lost Prince, her bondmate, back in August 2011, she grinded her teeth and I didn't know why. She wasn't in any physical pain. I found out that she was in emotional pain over losing Prince. Rabbits do experience emotional pain, physical pain, pleasure, all different emotions. The emotional pain grind is softer than a physical pain grind, but louder than a content, happy, purring grind.

I have heard Sweetie do physical pain grind, emotional pain grind, she has only purred a couple times I think.

I was often concerned as to if my buns were tooth purring or tooth grinding until the one time I heard one of my rabbits grind his teeth. It was loud enough that you could hear it easily from across the room whereas the tooth purring is softer. When I rub their cheeks they will tooth purr softly.

Latest posts

Back