Symptoms of GI Stasis? Rabbit Eating Pellets More Than Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main thing my vet mentioned to me was to make sure that they eat, drink, poop and aren't kept outside in the cold as they can't regulate their temperature well for 24 hours post surgery. So it's great that he's eating. His poops may be a little slow to come at first given his system would have slowed down during the op. but you should definitely be seeing poops by now if you haven't already :)

The spurs are likely to come back, however on occasion they don't either. Sometimes removing the spurs corrects the grinding surface enough that they don't develop again.

Thanks for getting back to me :)

He was eating a little. He pooped some small pellets. Small amount as well. However, I donT think he he ate much during the night and I don't think he has been drinking despite placing a water bowl in his cage even though he drinks from a water bottle.

I haven't taken him out of his cage since yesterday and I made sure by checking every few hours, that he's warm (checked his ears).

I contacted the surgeon because of my concern for him not eating and she said I may have to syringe feed him :( so we will see how we go.

How long will it take for him to eat his hay? I want him to maintain good health and healthy teeth so I know that means to provide him with unlimited hay (high fibre diet) but he's just not interested. I would refresh it multiple times a day, hovering it in front of his mouth (not forcing him to eat) and he just moves away. I don't want him entering the GI stasis post surgery. Any tips on how to encourage his hay intake? He just seems to be eating few vegetables and small bites from an apple (have to make him gain weight because he lost quite a bit)

His mouth might still be a little sore after the surgery. Did you say you had sprayed apple juice on the hay a little to encourage him before the surgery? Perhaps try that, or try offering only the really soft pieces of hay. If he hasn't eaten any hay or pellets by now I think you'll probably need to syringe feed. It's good that he's eating some greens that will be helping with his water intake, but he needs to start eating properly. He may even eat pellets if you just soften them up with a bit of water.

Yes I have tried spraying some hay with apple juice. I'll separate the softer hay from the course and see if he will eat the soft hay. I have put two bowls in the cage, both pellets but one bowl is the pellets with water (mushy pellets I should say). He hasn't touched that. I saw him eat some dry pellets though but not as much. The surgeon told me syringe feeding isn't necessary at this stage though so.. I don't know what to do? I'm trying to offer soft manageable foods to chew for now

Back