Sussed how to solve rabbit dominance problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibribunbun

Reaction score
Hi,
So people who have read about my last post know my mini rex juno is biting. We all know if dominance as she's at that nearly 5 months mark.

You also know I live with parents who have policed my pet keeping: stopping me spaying. This will unfortunately NOT change- I've tried for years (different rabbits obviously).

So I have a dominant bun, again.... Last buns that did this needed to be told that they are not in charge for obvious reasons. I will still get bit when I need with silly stuff but that's inevitable. But it's not the bad biting over everything.

I tried that "saying no". It does nothing. So I'm going back to head pushing. It works for the others.

So what about fear of stroking head?- What I've discovered.
Regardless of association shes crazy with petting anyway?
  • When pet on head for a while she was great
  • Now she's not again? She Yoyo at best.
  • She was fine with petting sides before
  • Now she's attacking when my hand touches a shoulder side?
It seems this is all happening in her hutch! Bingo!
I know some buns are funny when petting out of hutch, she is when in hutch.

So it seems, I can't let aggression slide as it's getting worse (thinks getting away with it)
My solutions:
  • She needs petting outside of hutch (when longer duration)- makes sense as it's neutral ground to her
  • Short little pet to say hello in morning- but not nagging(more pets), winds her up and make a aggression worse
  • When she does bite - push head down. Buy Leave be after- nagging (petting) will lead to more bites and more "rivalry" as seen through her eyes with my reaction. It doesn't seem to.reassure as it's too.soon after and she thinks I'm trying to dominate again. Basically let her calm down before saying hi again.
Ps. She's had less time petting outside as Ive wanted. I'm very ill with flu at the moment and right on the run up to Christmas too :(

Geez it's always so complicated when you can't spay! But I have to make do with this strategy as otherwise I can't have rabbits.
That can't happen as it's my special interest and only reason I keep doing (literally).

Writing post as it reinforces my plan to myself.

the turd in question, Juno
IMG_6963.JPG

Oh. It wasn't clear before that this was happening while she was inside her hutch. That's a significant observation you've made. That also explains everything. A rabbit's hutch should be their own domain, their "safe zone," the place they can go where they know they will never be bothered. It is a touch-free zone (or should be). No petting of buns while they are in their hutch. Reserve all petting and attention for when they are out and about. Not even that "little hello" pat in the morning -- no pets or touches whatsoever while she is in her hutch.

When she is outside of her hutch, that doesn't mean that she should be sought after to give her pettings either. Let her take the lead. With observation (and likely some trial & error) you will get to "read" her body language. She will let you know when and if she is in the mood for attention. If you approach her and she lowers her head, then, yes, absolutely pet her. That's her way of asking for attention. If she scurries off or turns her back, then she probably want to be left alone. Learning her posture and moods will help you to know when is the proper time to pet her.

One of my rabbits would move in front of the TV stand at a certain time in the evening and just look at me. That was one of her ways of letting me know she wanted attention. It'll vary per bun, but that's half the fun (and challenge) of having rabbits.

Oh. It wasn't clear before that this was happening while she was inside her hutch. That's a significant observation you've made. That also explains everything. A rabbit's hutch should be their own domain, their "safe zone," the place they can go where they know they will never be bothered. It is a touch-free zone (or should be). No petting of buns while they are in their hutch. Reserve all petting and attention for when they are out and about. Not even that "little hello" pat in the morning -- no pets or touches whatsoever while she is in her hutch.

When she is outside of her hutch, that doesn't mean that she should be sought after to give her pettings either. Let her take the lead. With observation (and likely some trial & error) you will get to "read" her body language. She will let you know when and if she is in the mood for attention. If you approach her and she lowers her head, then, yes, absolutely pet her. That's her way of asking for attention. If she scurries off or turns her back, then she probably want to be left alone. Learning her posture and moods will help you to know when is the proper time to pet her.

One of my rabbits would move in front of the TV stand at a certain time in the evening and just look at me. That was one of her ways of letting me know she wanted attention. It'll vary per bun, but that's half the fun (and challenge) of having rabbits.
Morning pets are a must with my buns. When I have weird work rotas it means I don't get to take them out as often as i'd like. It's just a way of saying "hi" and with Amber (my snuggle bun) it's her life line.

But this one isn't Amber, a little few pets before food will be continued (desensitization of hands in hutches) but no full petting sessions in the hutch.

I completely agree with what your saying!

It's not like she dislikes me as a whole either.
She's a very scared bun. Sometimes I bring her in the kitchen (too cold to play outside) and she hops about. But will get terrified if someone passes her (inevitable as live with parents and it's a kitchen).
But I'm like her safety blanket. She'll hide behind me everytime.
when I led down on the kitchen floor and my step mum came in, she couldn't get behind me so her next best thing was sitting on my chest.of

just realised the hutch thing explains another weird occurance.

She is perfectly fine with pets on her side and back in both settings. But will not allow pets on her head and near her head (shoulder sides) in the hutch.
but will allow head pets outside hutch.
after all which buns hate head pets?

It's probably too confrontational to her if in the hutch.

I'm still a firm believer that any rabbit (most especially those that are already bitey or hormonal) does best and becomes more confident when she knows she has a space that is totally her own and in which she will not be touched or bothered. Forcing pettings isn't desensitizing her as much as depriving her of that private space. She may eventually submit to forced pets but at the cost of her mental security. Respecting her need for her own space will reap benefits for her social interactions, her mental comfort, and stress relief. Morning pets are fine for some buns but can be counter-productive to others.

I'm still a firm believer that any rabbit (most especially those that are already bitey or hormonal) does best and becomes more confident when she knows she has a space that is totally her own and in which she will not be touched or bothered. Forcing pettings isn't desensitizing her as much as depriving her of that private space. She may eventually submit to forced pets but at the cost of her mental security. Respecting her need for her own space will reap benefits for her social interactions, her mental comfort, and stress relief. Morning pets are fine for some buns but can be counter-productive to others.
Oh by morning pets I just mean the side pets she's fine with (she's never upset with those, actually happy to see me).

It's the full on head pets that she hates in the hutch only. So I'm only going to full on stroke her outside hutch.

I totally agree with what your saying.

Latest posts

Back