Sudden Paralysis in Rabbits! :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that is definetly true about mushrooms - they just pop up overnight or even sooner it seems and you dont know if they are poisionous or not. I wouldnt trust any mushrooms with a bunny. They have such sensitive tummies.

Well, it's DEFINITELY the mushrooms.

Trixie can now pee on her own!!! Yay! And she's starting to move around a bit.

Gordon (her brother) has no more wobbles or falling over.

Sherlock (the dominant male) who was caught eating a mushroom this morning is now wobbly, but is still mobile.

I assume Trixie ate more than the others, as she is the worse. My husband took off today and said that Sherlock was fine this morning, but went down hill after the mushroom incident.

I dumped an entire gallon of vinegar outside where the mushrooms were, and I am going to lowes tonight to get a sprayer so I can spray the area down. Thank God they are only in one area.

I'm so glad you figured out the cause of the troubles and that your bunnies are on the mend!

Yep... I use vinegar for tons of stuff and I looked it up and low and behold it works!

We just got done spraying the yard and Sherlock even had to taste it. Lol! He eats anything I swear. He once stole my blueberry muffin and devoured it! I shoulda named him Piggy or something.

Everyone is taking small but noticeable strides in getting better even Sherlock. I'm so glad my bunnies are going to be ok. I don't know what I would do without them.

Update:

Sherlock was out and about this morning with only a slight wobble.

Gordon is down to no wobble and anxious to get back outside.

Trixie is starting to move around more and more and show improvement with her legs. Shouldn't be too long until she's back to normal.

I've been making sure they get plenty of water to help flush their systems and today I'm going to give Gordon some free time around the house so maybe that will give Trixie a boost of happiness to have a visitor.

Glad it's the mushrooms and not E. cuniculi!

My family lost our first bun to E. cuniculi... the paralysis started as a wobble and loss of bladder control (we thought it was old age), then suddenly within a few days it spread to her rear end, up through her body, until she couldn't get up at all... she passed within one week (despite seeing the vet the first day of really wobbly legs, and getting medication).

I'm always watching how my buns run... I would get them pre-treated for it if the medication weren't so nasty.

Good luck keeping the mushrooms at bay!

Back