Sudden aggression in bonded pair?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKM

Reaction score
My pair, Carrots (3 year old spayed female) and Wafel (9 month old neutered male) have been bonded for around three months now. Recently, I brought home a third bun, Norman (7 week old intact male) and after a week in quarantine, he has his own setup in my current pair's room, high up so they can't touch him. It's been around an hour, and Carrots has been chasing/lunging at Wafel and biting him. She also approached me and bit, which has never happened before, not even when I first brought Wafel home. I fear for Wafel's safety, for fur has been pulled and he is hiding in fear. At the moment, I'm parked in the bunny room, as I honestly don't feel comfortable leaving them alone. Any suggestions? This is a bit of an urgent situation.

It's called 'referred aggression'. This type of territorial behavior can sometimes happen with bonded rabbits when a new rabbit, pet, or even just the smell of an animal is brought in to the environment.

You can try removing the new rabbit to a different area of your home. You may even need to wash up between handling your new bun and being around your bonded pair. But it may become necessary to separate your bonded pair, and try rebonding at a later time, after your one bun has calmed down.

Latest posts

Back