Strange reaction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleMija2

Reaction score
I had my buns on oxbow pellets and I decided totry the purina. I switched them gradually and they began to developfatigue. They did nothing but sleep and laz around the house. I keptthem on the purina for a bit but decided to switch them back to theoxbow to see if the food was causing the sleepiness.

After switching back, they re-gained thier energy again and were fine.I know this is odd but Im so curious to know why it happend. I havethem on martins-T now because it appeard to have the same nutritionalcontent as the oxbow ( only cheaper)and they are fine with it as far asdigestion however, for somereason, I dont think it makes themas healthy as the oxbow did.

At this point, Im wondering if it could be possible that the purina igot was stale? I got it from a feed store that rations it out intosmaller bags so i have no idea how long the bag had been opened. I'venever heard of a bunny having tolerance issues with purina, im justwondering if staleness could have been the problem?

Pellets come in both timothy-based or alfalfa-based formulas.

Which oneis the Oxbow??

And the Purina??

They didnt smell " funky" there was no bad odour,mind you they had a different smell then the oxbow. It was a while agothat this happened.

The oxbow was timmy based and the purina was alfalfabased. Inever thought about that as a factor though,good point ...still, they have never had any problems with the digestion aspects ofalfala in the past

LittleMija2 wrote:
The oxbow was timmy based and the purina wasalfalfabased. I never thought about that as a factorthough,good point ... still, they have never had any problemswith the digestion aspects of alfala in the past.
I wonder if the richness of the alfala made them sluggish?

Kind of like me when I eat really rich mealzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........zzzzzzz.....zzzzzz

Its possible, I guess its somethingIwill never really know unless I try again. Its definatly not a factor Iconsiderd enough though. Its very possible... Thanks so much :) Its sonice to be at a forum where themembers actually know aboutrabbits hehe

Just to add, Ive been doing a bit of research andI found that grains can be fairlycontaminated withmycotoxins( by products of mold). In annimals who were fed contaminatedgrain,the toxins created an increase in the amino acidtryptophan in thier blood... which is the same amino acid in turkey andmilk that makes us sleepy. If the pellets were old ( as in left in thestore ) maybe they could have been lightly contaminated? Just athought...

I'm stilltrying to decide if I should put them back on thepurina. This store I got the purina from was also in bad shape, theannimals seemed unproperly cared for so I'm thinking it was stale afterall. Thanks again for the spark of thought on this topic.

Latest posts

Back